• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure cooker and air fryer all in one

Anna N

What happens when you combine pressure cooker and air fryer?

This.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have no personal interest in owning one of these but I did think it was worth posting. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I consulted with Ninja when they were developing this product and was then approached to write a cookbook for it. It was a really interesting project. I'd say that for someone who doesn't already have an electric pressure cooker and air fryer, it's worth considering. I'm happy to answer any questions about it -- I used it for several months developing recipes for the book.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@JAZ I have neither an electric pressure cooker or an air fryer, which is exactly why this item seemed good as it's a 2 for 1.  I have a large pc that I use for making large quantities of stock, but barely use it otherwise as it is so big, and I only cook for 2 people, myself included.  Can you use this item to make spring rolls? Do they come out similar to being fried?  Also, when in use, does the device exhaust a lot of hot air?  I live in a small apt. with an even smaller kitchen!

I like the idea of a dual purpose appliance but the need to have that fryer lid hinged open while either sautéing or using the PC is problematic for me.  I'd need to place the unit awfully close to the edge of the counter top to clear the upper cabinets and I'd be unable to slide it back out of the way as I do with the IP once it's up and going.  The cord is a couple of inches too short to allow it to be placed on the stove where there's more vertical clearance.  

I'm safe!

I saw an infomercial for this not long ago on one of those mornings that I woke up way to early, only stuck in my mind because it was hosted by people who had (or maybe still have) shows on Food Network.  Thought it looked interesting, but not $179 interesting.

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

@JAZ I have neither an electric pressure cooker or an air fryer, which is exactly why this item seemed good as it's a 2 for 1.  I have a large pc that I use for making large quantities of stock, but barely use it otherwise as it is so big, and I only cook for 2 people, myself included.  Can you use this item to make spring rolls? Do they come out similar to being fried?  Also, when in use, does the device exhaust a lot of hot air?  I live in a small apt. with an even smaller kitchen!

One of the recipes I developed for the book was for egg rolls -- I made the filling under pressure, then filled and "air crisped" the rolls. I was pleased with them. Not exactly like fried, but definitely crisp. I haven't used other air fryers, so I don't know if this is typical, but since the crisping lid only heats from the top, anything you want to get crisp on both sides has to be turned over halfway through cooking. I didn't notice a lot of exhaust when I used it but I was using it in a place that was pretty well ventilated. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I like the idea of a dual purpose appliance but the need to have that fryer lid hinged open while either sautéing or using the PC is problematic for me.  I'd need to place the unit awfully close to the edge of the counter top to clear the upper cabinets and I'd be unable to slide it back out of the way as I do with the IP once it's up and going.  The cord is a couple of inches too short to allow it to be placed on the stove where there's more vertical clearance.  

I'm safe!

We have a counter with no cabinets over it, which is where I always used the Ninja. When I was testing it, I thought it might be problematic if used under cabinets, but I never had to do that.

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure how I'd use the thing. Most times , things that I might PC I wouldn't then fry and things that I'd fry have no need for a PC.

Like the dish in the article, Louisiana Battered Flounder, why PC a nice flounder in the first place? Couldn't you just air fry it to begin with?

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I'm trying to figure how I'd use the thing. Most times , things that I might PC I wouldn't then fry and things that I'd fry have no need for a PC.

Like the dish in the article, Louisiana Battered Flounder, why PC a nice flounder in the first place? Couldn't you just air fry it to begin with?

When I was developing recipes, I found the best kind of recipes (to my way of thinking, at least) were the kinds of dishes that people ordinarily start under pressure and then transfer to the broiler or grill. So, for instance, ribs or chicken wings started in the pressure cooker, then browned with sauce under the air crisper. I did a Southwestern braised beef dish and finished it with a cornbread topping, which was a success. Fruit crisps and crumbles worked well for desserts. My contacts at Ninja kept suggesting recipes that started with frozen foods cooked under pressure and then "crisped," but I was able to avoid that.

• Like 4

Urvashi Pitre (author of the Two Sleevers blog and several IP and air fryer cookbooks ) has a YouTube review of this appliance that I found useful in terms of understanding the size and use of the thing.  Similar to the recipes that @JAZ describes, Urvashi makes chicken and rice that are started under pressure and then switched to the crisper.  Sounds pretty good.  I wonder how easy it is to clean that crisper lid while it's hinged on to the pot.  Not that it matters - I still don't have any place to use it. 

• Like 2

Thanks very much for posting the video. I have a better understanding now of the beast. I still don’t want one but if I had a kitchen that was 20 feet long and 8 feet wide and a bank account that could barely hold its contents I would be tempted to play with one of these.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Do I have to wait 'till Christmas?????

Oh dear lord. No. You need to take some for the team. You got to tell us if it’s half as good as the marketing makes out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog