• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Cakes and decorative cakes in general

joiei

Where did you get the inspiration for your wedding cake from?  Did you just pick one out of a book at the bakers or did you have something specific in mind?   Here are a very few of the examples that I saw today at the 2018 Oklahoma State Sugar Arts Show.   What was amazing was some of the cakes by the 7-12 year olds.  Artists in the making.    

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

• Like 9

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Do you suppose there is there a message behind the cake with the sinking ship?

That was one of the cakes in the kids 7-12 catagory.  Good sense of humor.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

The skills and imagination are amazing. Was the top cake - the one that looked so much like cameo jewelry - from one of the 7 - 12 year olds? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Those are like sculptures and it would pain me to cut into them! My cake was very simple and in fact I didn’t even pick out a design, I was more concerned with the taste (raspberry filling, white cake) and left it up to the chef.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

The skills and imagination are amazing. Was the top cake - the one that looked so much like cameo jewelry - from one of the 7 - 12 year olds? 

No that wasn't one of the kid's entrys, that was one of the cake masters competing for big bucks.   The winner of the Grand National Wedding Cake portion will take home $30,000.  

• Like 3

• 8 months later...