• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide safety question

weedy

So... I’m doing an iberico secreto Sous Vide for 72 hrs. 

But here’s the question:

i need to serve it about 1.5hra drive away. 

So, would you:

take it out of the bath and drive it there and then Retherm to temp (so it’s borderline In The “danger zone” for those 2 hrs)

or

freeze it before the trip?

Theroretically it’s not in the unsafe zone long ENOUGH ago be a problem 

but I’m open to thoughts. 

Thanks

I don't know what temperature you're cooking it at but assuming you're above 130F, after 72 hours there's not much left to kill in that bag and a 1.5h trip won't mean much unless you started with a bad batch of meat in which case nothing you do will really matter. But if it makes you feel better, you can freeze it or transport it in ice water and then reheat it. You're going to be fine either way. 

The question I suppose is whether spores, or ANYTHING harmful, has a chance to grow in less than 2 hrs traveling in “the danger zone”. 

Baldwin says somewhere “no”. 

Although i got some more direct opinions more along the lines of ‘you should be fine but I can’t PERSONALLY tell you it’s okay’. 

Anyway. I froze it and rethermed it there and it was fine and so far no one died. 

(And secreto is declicious). 

But i STRONGLY suspect I didn’t have to. 

2B9870C4-FDB9-406F-844B-B3442082A9BB.jpeg

• Like 1

I drove some SV pork about 2.5 hours and put the meat and SV water in a cooler for the trip. The water was getting down near the the danger zone when I arrived. I suppose it depends on the starting temperature, how much water you have, and the quality of the cooler. Wrap it in a few blankets to be sure (and to catch any water that slops out). Minimal reheating on the other end, too.

I don't see why it would be a problem anyway, since you food will be pasteurized in 72 hours and the bags will still be intact with no way for bugs to get in. 

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Yes, but those numbers hardly tell the whole story

we routinely eat fish cooked to 112F in a pan.

or sous vide proteins cooked to 130-135F.

and we don't worry about botulinum

the real question is whether something anaerobic has a chance to grow into something dangerous in 2 hrs below 130F.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 10:01 AM, AlaMoi said:

temp to kill salmonela 131'F;

listeria 158'F;

botulism 240'F pH>4.6;

e-coli 160'F;

tapeworm 125'F

trichinosis 137'F;

campylobacter 158'F

Beware simplified information like this. All bacteria have a temperature / time curve for pasteurization. Salmonella, e-coli, campilobacter, and trichinella are killed to pasteurization standards at 130°F in under 6 hours. In 72 hours they'd be dead dead dead. I don't have listeria data handy. 

Notes from the underbelly

On 10/2/2018 at 12:29 AM, weedy said:

the real question is whether something anaerobic has a chance to grow into something dangerous in 2 hrs below 130F.

Check out this study: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.622.5104&rep=rep1&type=pdf   

I've only just glanced at it, but think you're safe with a few days to spare. Just chill that meat quickly, and keep it on ice. 

(This study was designed to look at the effects of higher temperature cooking on c.botulinum germination time, but they also an uncooked sample as a control. The uncooked sample is probably the one to look at, since  your 72 hour cook will probably be lower than any of their test temperatures. Check out the chart on p. 1784)

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly