• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celiac Disease

TicTac

Agreed, dont trust restaurants to be celiac-safe. Those gluten free menus might be fine for the whole 30, clean-eating, low-carb, GF=healthy, and other bandwagon-jumpers, but you’ll want to makes sure any food your son eats cones from a certified GF kitchen. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your contributions.  It really means a lot to me (and my wife, who is lurking in the shadows and taking notes - hi honey!! 💗)

Some very interesting thoughts.

One thing I want to further investigate is how far does the 'GF' governing body investigate the production of anything labeled as such, to ensure no cross contact.

I can envision the value of a 'CS' (Celiac Safe) labeling as well.  From what I gather thus far, something can be labeled 'GF' even if there are traces, so long as traces are noted.  An additional designation might be helpful for those with this disease....

• Like 1

The Gluten Free certification program is what you are looking for.  https://www.glutenfreecert.com/faqs

As the most trusted Canadian resource for consumers seeking gluten-free products, the Canadian Celiac Association’s vision for the GFCP mark is that it will provide consumers with safe, trusted and easily identifiable gluten-free products at point of purchase.The GFCP mark on product packaging provides consumers with an added level of assurance that those products are manufactured in a facility which successfully passes routine third-party audits to verify that their gluten-free management system consistently meets the requirements of the Gluten-Free Certification Program.

TicTac (and others), you might want to check out Gluten-Free Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

For gluten-free pasta, I've found the ones from Bionaturae and Schãr to be more than decent. I usually order them from Vitacost, although my local supermarket sometimes has them in stock.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 4 years later...

I'm watching this program on gluten and inflammation and do not endorse or disagree with it...I simply don't know enough about the subject...but one thing is true and I guess that scientific study endorses it: 1,000 years ago wheat contained only 4% gluten and now in the 21st century, it's 12 %. That was a staggering thing to learn.

Added:  I went back and reread this entire thread and was taken aback by my post of 2018...an eating lifetime ago.  Now I avoid gluten pretty much, although like some, a small amount will not produce any problems...so far...  I'm going to rethink this issue again.  I didn't find it a problem for the year and a half in which I avoided gluten completely...life is much easier for the gluten-intolerant now.  And still a lot of my baking is gluten-free...I actually like what I am making.  But bread is the biggest problem.  I love a particular whole-grain regular-type bread and have gone back to eating it.  I'm going to try the gluten-free sandwich bread recipe posted above.  

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The biggest thing I miss is fresh yeast bread, warm from the oven, slathered in butter. GF sandwich bread is fine, toasted, and I was always inclined to eat sandwich “innards” sans the bread, anyway.

But yes. Gluten free selections have improved tremendously.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

19 hours ago, Darienne said:

1,000 years ago wheat contained only 4% gluten and now in the 21st century, it's 12 %. That was a staggering thing to learn.

They may have used fewer pesticides/herbicides/fungicides then too.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

They may have used fewer pesticides/herbicides/fungicides then too.

Absolutely.  

Interesting, the video touches upon the fact that some people can tolerate more wheat while eating in Europe than in North America.   Stricter laws on the use of pesticides/herbicides/fungicides seems to be the answer in this case.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The Trouble With Bread

Journalist Maggie Beidelman enjoyed her favorite bread, pasta and pastries during a year in France, but when she returned to the United States, she found she could not eat the same foods without developing a stomachache, nausea and exhaustion. She knew it was “something,” but didn’t know what.

The Trouble with Bread, her documentary film project as a student at Berkeley’s Graduate School of Journalism, became a personal and professional quest for answers about gluten intolerance (trailer). Surrounded by mentors like Professor Michael Pollan, scientists, farmers and bakers in the gourmet- and heritage-wheat-loving Bay Area, she journeyed “from farm to mill to table” and found some surprising answers.

Also, the story of Tartine Bakery's Elisabeth Prueitt is quite interesting.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 hours ago, Darienne said:

I'm watching this program on gluten and inflammation and do not endorse or disagree with it...I simply don't know enough about the subject...but one thing is true and I guess that scientific study endorses it: 1,000 years ago wheat contained only 4% gluten and now in the 21st century, it's 12 %. That was a staggering thing to learn.

That's...pretty dubious. I'll watch the video later and see if I can find whatever source he's citing for that. Durum, for example, is a high-gluten wheat and it's been cultivated for about 10,000 years (in round numbers). Though I did find at least one study - comparing "ancient" wheats to modern wheats - which worked around that difficulty by simply classing durum among the modern wheats. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If you are interested in accessing the documentary mentioned by the quote in @weinoo's post and if like me you don't have access to any video sources, you can access the text (and script directions) from this source: https://escholarship.org/uc/item/0zv7w37s .  Not exactly a fascinating method of accessing a video, but I really wanted to watch it and can't.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.