• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Switching to commercial convection oven?

brooksms

40 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Unless it’s completely dry all the way through, you’ll lose any crisp exterior soon after packaging. 

Gotcha! I wasn't sure if my expectations were realistic or not. I was told Levain cookies are still semi-crisp at room temp. They just put the cookies in a cardboard box with paper though. For this event mine will have to be individually packaged. I guess the option is to say "If you want them crispy outside/gooey inside, reheat at 350 for 10 mins." I'm just not happy with the softness of the exterior at all. I did try another recipe which is identical aside from 20g more flour, 45g more sugar, omit the 1/8 tsp baking powder. I baked my original recipe as well as this one at a higher temp of 350. It seems crispier on the outside even after being packaged for a few hours. Maybe I just need that extra flour to absorb whatever moisture is making them too soft? Idk...I feel so unqualified. At least I figured out the oven. I re-sealed and will check again tomorrow. This is rough! Maybe I'm too critical but I hate to put my name on something I don't 110% love.

That's funny, I was going to suggest a little less flour if they seem doughy.  But I'm not familiar with the one you're trying to mimic.  Another thought, are you letting them come to room temp before baking? Since they are so big, they'll stay cold in the middle longer if they're straight out of the fridge or freezer.

Hang in there!  New kitchens are always challenging, not knowing the quirks of the equipment or where anything is.

13 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

That's funny, I was going to suggest a little less flour if they seem doughy.  But I'm not familiar with the one you're trying to mimic.  Another thought, are you letting them come to room temp before baking? Since they are so big, they'll stay cold in the middle longer if they're straight out of the fridge or freezer.

Hang in there!  New kitchens are always challenging, not knowing the quirks of the equipment or where anything is.

I think in the beginning I was too concerned about the raw center. This is the inspiration. Clearly they're served very raw so thankfully I'm not stressing that part anymore. I have been baking them all straight from the fridge to keep them thick! However, both recipes stayed very thick at 350 so room temp would probably work just fine. I was hoping to split up the work by making dough Thursday and baking Friday though. Maybe I could let them sit out of the fridge while the oven pre-heats.

Edited by brooksms (log)

6 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

I'd bring my own sharpie (pink!) and make my own mark on that dial when I get to the perfect temp, doubt that anyone will notice.

I think I'd scratch in a mark...and or take a cell phone photo of the position

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brooksms said:

I think in the beginning I was too concerned about the raw center. This is the inspiration. Clearly they're served very raw so thankfully I'm not stressing that part anymore. I have been baking them all straight from the fridge to keep them thick! However, both recipes stayed very thick at 350 so room temp would probably work just fine. I was hoping to split up the work by making dough Thursday and baking Friday though. Maybe I could let them sit out of the fridge while the oven pre-heats.

Ew, that looks raw and kinda nasty.  Like molten chocolate cake with a baked shell and raw center, but in a cookie.  Yours look better, a bit chewy or gooey but not raw.  Whatever people are into, I guess!  If you really want to re-create that I'd do higher heat for a shorter time.  But if you want a cookie that is actually baked, yes, do bake a few after letting them sit out at room temp for 20 minutes and see if that changes anything.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Ew, that looks raw and kinda nasty.  Like molten chocolate cake with a baked shell and raw center, but in a cookie.  Yours look better, a bit chewy or gooey but not raw.  Whatever people are into, I guess!  If you really want to re-create that I'd do higher heat for a shorter time.  But if you want a cookie that is actually baked, yes, do bake a few after letting them sit out at room temp for 20 minutes and see if that changes anything.

lol yeah, definitely raw! Honestly they are too gooey to be eaten straight from the oven like that. Mine look the same before cooling. It's just a matter of waiting until they're fully cool. I baked the higher flour one at home just now. As much as I had to admit...it really is better! I think you're right. Room temp would have nicer spread and, if I don't feel like waiting for them to warm up, I could always press them down before baking. Easy enough! Thank you for talking it through with me. I've been so stressed trying to figure it out quickly. 

• Like 1