• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cdh

cdh

Hmmm... that tip sheet really is YMMV.   Sweet Maria's SR500 goes much much faster than mine does.  But SM also had a video talking about problems with scorching of the beans in an SR500 that I saw before I got mine, and which has affected how I've been using the controls.  I am not a follower of the race-to-first-crack school of roasting, so I don't crank the heat to high and the fan to low when starting out with the heavy green beans in the chamber not moving around much.  I start with low heat and high fan for a minute to two at the start to permit the beans to get dried out and start moving around more, then crank the heat, then turn the fan down to medium after the first snaps of the first crack hit.  That's usually at about 5 minutes into the roast.  The first crack  ends at about 7 or 7.5 minutes in, and that is where I generally stop the roast, because my usual beans are fruity Ethiopians, and getting them much past the 1st crack diminishes the acidity that causes the fruit bomb flavors I'm after. 

cdh

cdh

Hmmm... that tip sheet really is YMMV.   Sweet Marias SR500 goes much much faster than mine does.  But SM also had a video talking about problems with scorching of the beans in an SR500 that I saw before I got mine, and which has affected how I've been using the controls.  I am not a follower of the race-to-first-crack school of roasting, so I don't crank the heat to high and the fan to low when starting out with the heavy green beans in the chamber not moving around much.  I start with low heat and high fan for a minute to two at the start to permit the beans to get dried out and start moving around more, then crank the heat, then turn the fan down to medium after the first snaps of the first crack hit.  That's usually at about 5 minutes into the roast.  The first crack  ends at about 7 or 7.5 minutes in, and that is where I generally stop the roast, because my usual beans are fruity Ethiopians, and getting them much past the 1st crack diminishes the acidity that causes the fruit bomb flavors I'm after.