• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Haidilao , Hot-Pot chain

rotuts

in the news is Haidilao , a Hot-Pot chain in China    Ive misspelled the name in the Header.  sorry

that is , well Hot.

it has an IPO today , and expects to raise 1 Billion USD  

and to expand outside of China

" A restaurant chain that defies China's well earned reputation for lousy service "    NYTimes article

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/25/business/haidilao-china-hotpot-ipo.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbusiness&action=click&contentCollection=business&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=5&pgtype=sectionfront

has anyone tried the food ?

or is this a so-so food chain that has hit on a Biz model of Manicures etc   to add to The Pot ?

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)

I’ve had that a couple of times and enjoyed it - food is diverse and ok, convenient to order via tablets, prices are fine. The waiting services are definitely a plus, including the generous children’s playground. Manicure I didn’t try 😉

from the NYTimes :

"" 

Even a string of food safety scandals has not dented confidence in the brand.

Last year, a viral video taken in two Beijing outlets by an undercover Chinese journalist showed rat-infested kitchens, dishwashers covered with grease and staff members cleaning sewers with a soup ladle. In June, the Chinese news media reported that a customer in one of the previous offending outlets found a fly in the dipping sesame sauce.

In both instances, Haidilao apologized and promised to overhaul food safety in all its restaurants.

Now, customers can watch a live-stream video of the kitchen from a flat-screen television hung on the wall or through tablets on their tables. They are also welcome to personally observe the food being prepared.""

""   

“If they want to be popular overseas, they’ll have to adjust their services and menu,” said Darcy Zhang, a Shanghai-based food blogger who is a fan of Haidilao. “In other countries, some of their services might feel too exaggerated.”

“For example, a customer will go and wash their hands and the staff will be waiting outside with tissue paper and a huge smile,” she added. “Perhaps foreigners might find that quite creepy.”  ""

interesting to see how the chain changes as it moves outside China

Edited by rotuts (log)

I went to Hai Di Lao in Beijing and wrote about it in my Beijing foodblog... we enjoyed it very much, and was told that it is a popular after-work spot with many of the young people who worked at our hotel.

I had read that they are planning on a location in NYC soon...