• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville's Smart Oven™ Pizzaiolo

MSRadell

Kind email yesterday regarding this new oven from Breville, heress its website: http://smartovenpizzaiolo.breville.com/us/?utm_source=brevilleusanewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pizzaiolo_sneak_peek

It's kind of a one trick pony but having the ability to go to 750° could provide some interesting possibilities. I wonder what the pricing is going to be?

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Breville is responsible for some of the worst pizza ovens in the history of pizza ovens. If they really wanted to appeal to the obsessive market- and, let's face it, the only people spending $800 OR $1200 on a pizza oven are going to be obsessives, if they wanted to market this in the best light possible, they should have removed their name.

As far as the oven itself goes, a 2 minute bake isn't Neapolitan pizza, and, if you're going to spend $800, you had darn well better get Neapolitan capabilities.  I'm not saying that this oven can't do Neapolitan, but, from the videos I've been able to track down, I haven't seen it, and, if the Uuni and the Roccbox are any indicators, it's going to be at least 8 months before this oven gets into the hands of someone that even knows how to make Neapolitan pizza.

I'm not going to lie, the lifting action on the hearth as you close the door is pretty ingenious.  In the prototype ovens that I've designed, I've had that feature- at least I've had the hearth down for launching and up for the bake. Having it come out- with a heavy-ish stone- I think the engineering gets a bit iffy on that.  It's hard to tell, but I get the feeling that they may not use a stone, but, rather, use a metal sheet for the hearth. Depending on the thinness of the metal, that may be a bad idea, but I have to learn more to know for certain.

The Blackstone is off the market, so, if this could do a 60 second bake, that would be a pretty big selling point.  But it would have to be at most $800, not $800 on sale, but $800, period. When you get into the $1200 realm, that comes close to the cost of having an F1 shipped from Europe.

Edited by scott123 (log)
  • Like 1