• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Setting up a chocolate Workshop in Colombia (South America)

felipetruji

Hi Folks,

I'm Pipe Trujillo, chocolatier from Colombia.

Recently was hired as head (and only) chocolatier for a chocolate entrepreneurship here called Distrito Chocolate, i'm really excited about this as it has a deep social impact on cocoa farmers locally.

To make the story short, we won some financial support at the Colombian shark tank t.v show 🤑 and we plan to open a new shop with a workshop to handle production for all the stores (currently only one and the one we are opening, and probably another one next year).

However the budget for the workshop is kind of thight and i have to manage to make all the needed production for both stores and eventually a third one.

We plan on making some baked goods (cakes, tarts, macarons, viennosierie, cookies...) alongside the chocolate and confectionery production.

So i'm here asking for help to the community to create a layout for the shop and understand what kind of equipment you need to have a smooth production without going fancy, i can tell a Selmi tempering machine is out of budget, already asked for an EZ temper and a couple of melters.

The other issue is in Colombia you don't have available all the equipment you get in Europe or the US, so i'd appreciate if you go generic on the equipment you are suggesting as i probably won't get the one you are pointing me in.

So far here is what im asking for:

• Some stainless tables
  • A marble countertop hopefully like an island
  • A comercial oven (would love a rational but is out of the budget, need some help to find the right one)
  • An EZ temper (really excited about this)
  • 2 10L melters
  • a couple mixers
  • a Countertop induction burner
  • tray racks

Thank in advance for the help.😉

• Like 1

How about a tabletop sheeter if you are thinking of some viennosiere?

I assume molds and the rest of the equipment you will need to produce bonbons and bars has already been considered?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

How about a tabletop sheeter if you are thinking of some viennosiere?

I assume molds and the rest of the equipment you will need to produce bonbons and bars has already been considered?

Yep Kerry, molds have been considered!

3 minutes ago, keychris said:

I would have at least three melters, otherwise you're limited to only using two types of chocolate at a time.

Good consideration, thanks for the advise keychris

27 minutes ago, keychris said:

something to store your product in before it goes to the shops - humidity & temperature controlled environment like a wine fridge

Temperature and humidity are not a big issue here in Bogota, tho a fridge with humidity and temperature control could be really handy for speeding up the crystalization (and also help with the storing). Good call.

Hopefuly i can get an used fridge cheaply and adapt an humidity controller stayig in budget

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 5:50 PM, felipetruji said:

However the budget for the workshop is kind of tight and i have to manage to make all the needed production for both stores and eventually a third one.

We plan on making some baked goods (cakes, tarts, macarons, viennosierie, cookies...) alongside the chocolate and confectionery production.

This sounds very ambitious.  Is air-conditioning in the kitchen part of the budget?  Or is there enough separation that you have a cool place to work with chocolate while the oven is on baking croissants all morning and cakes all afternoon?  If the focus is chocolate confections I think chocolate should take priority over pastries.  Do you really need a sheeter and viennoiserie on the menu or would it be better to spend on chocolate equipment and keep the baked goods more simple?  Is it a bakery with chocolate or a chocolate shop with pastry?  How will you schedule production so you're not trying to mold bonbons next to an oven running at 200C?  Are you making the chocolate bean-to-bar or is the couverture produced elsewhere?

• Like 2