• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please help identify this beef cut I want to find

I know this will sound crazy, but they serve "roast beef" once a week at the rehab center that my mom is in right now and it is amazingly tasty and tender.  I'm quite sure it is NOT an expensive cut of meat.  But it isn't chuck or eye of round.  It is usually cooked medium-well and sliced fairly thin.  It has a thin layer of fat on one side.  Any ideas?  

It’s not a cheap roast but by no means the most expensive either.

That link doesn’t seem to work let me try another one. Here

Edited by Anna N
Removed a nonworking link and added a working link (log)
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, DocDougherty said:

Look at the chart of beef cuts and see if you can identify it

If not eye of round then perhaps top round (or more likely bottom round).

Most likely braised but perhaps cooked sous vide.

Looking at the chart, I'm thinking (like you) either top round or bottom round.  If I can find them, I'll do an experiment!  Thank you.