• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best wishes, from Denver Colorado

Arietta

I read a 2011 post by member David Ross, and the comments that followed, and was impressed with the overall sound of both, as well as the look of the site (without banner ads, pop-ups and monetizing links.)

My daughter is a fabulous cook, creating things my own mother and I would have never tried (or had the ingredients to work with). However, she and her husband and my grandson, love my more basic but very tasty dishes. We  learn from each other and I thought this site would assist us as we continue to put love in our food. We both travel a great deal for business, so time in the kitchen is limited. But, if we're going to cook, we want an excellent product! 

I'm looking forward to reading and sometimes participating. Arietta (My name was already taken, so I chose my mother's name, in her honor!) 

• Like 7

Welcome! It sounds like you'll fit right in here. What's a typical meal for you to cook? How about your daughter, with her more elaborate preparations?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome!

In all honesty, we do have a limited number of monetized links. EG, a non-profit, needs some income to keep the site running. Much of that money comes from society donors, but a little bit comes from the society Amazon account. The Amazon button on the text box toolbar allows people to embed links to items on Amazon. If a person purchases one of these items, a small % of the price goes to the site's account. Customers pay the same amount as they would without the affiliate link.

That said, the links don't appear all that frequently and are generally relevant to the conversation. -They appear mostly in the Kitchen Consumer forum.

Bon Appétit

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome notes....the lovely Arietta music and the greetings! 

On 9/23/2018 at 1:58 PM, Smithy said:

Welcome! It sounds like you'll fit right in here. What's a typical meal for you to cook? How about your daughter, with her more elaborate preparations?

I cook many southern dishes: cooked greens, southern-style noodles, stews, soups, simmered meat with gravy, biscuits and desserts. I also cook Colorado-style chili verde, queso fundido, sopitos and flan. My daughter uses fresh herbs and vegetables, carrot tops, beet tops, squash blossoms and similar ingredients, along with free-range and organic meats and poultry and homemade pasta, to develop delicious dishes, in which every flavor comes through. I was an avid reader of the first Joy of Cooking editions and James Beard's Cookbook, she uses Cooks Illustrated and food magazines for inspiration. We'll both enjoy eGullet, I'm sure!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arietta said:

Thanks for the welcome notes....the lovely Arietta music and the greetings! 

I cook many southern dishes: cooked greens, southern-style noodles, stews, soups, simmered meat with gravy, biscuits and desserts. I also cook Colorado-style chili verde, queso fundido, sopitos and flan. My daughter uses fresh herbs and vegetables, carrot tops, beet tops, squash blossoms and similar ingredients, along with free-range and organic meats and poultry and homemade pasta, to develop delicious dishes, in which every flavor comes through. I was an avid reader of the first Joy of Cooking editions and James Beard's Cookbook, she uses Cooks Illustrated and food magazines for inspiration. We'll both enjoy eGullet, I'm sure!

A cook after my own heart! What's your favorite soup/stew, now that it's getting to that kind of weather?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 hours ago, kayb said:

A cook after my own heart! What's your favorite soup/stew, now that it's getting to that kind of weather?

Long response: For soup, I most often use a few vegetables as a foundation, seasoning it ethnically or regionally or according to the meat I do or don't decide to add. (I used to think the meat should be predominant, with vegetables as filler, but I've changed that around.) If I use tomatoes, whether fresh or store-bought canned, I drain them very well before adding, to keep a more clear broth and less of a strong tomato taste---which it took me 45 years of cooking to figure out.  Chili Verde (Colorado's popular Green Chili) is really just a Mexican pork stew or soup, and I make that very often, for smothering filled burritos or eating with tortillas. In a couple of weeks I'll make a pot of Brunswick Stew for freezing in small batches, using my mother's recipe, which she made for church suppers in Georgia, for decades (only corn and tomatoes, no other vegetables). I also make chicken stew, with varying spices and herbs. I especially like chicken or pork, cooked tender with cilantro and lime, before adding it to vegetables in a broth for final simmering.

From the time I was a young teenage cook, I have simmered traditional stew ingredients together and served with rolls or biscuits. Everyone loved it, but I felt it could be better. Now, as a result of cooking with my daughter and re-reading recipes by professionals I admire, I try to cook in a way that lets individual items show and be tasted, as well as being part of the whole dish. It's still a stew or soup that everyone loves, but I like it better. I'm still working on developing an appreciation for a wider range of ingredients!   

• Like 1