• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tahitian vanilla from Papua New Guinea

Pastrypastmidnight

I just went to my Costco and they’re carrying vanilla beans again!!! Tahitian vanilla from Papua New Guinea—5 beans for $15.99 which is insanely cheap. Has anyone used this vanilla before? 

The beans are small and look a little dry, but I took a chance on them anyway. Because you know if I wait until my next trip they’ll be gone. DE74643B-3B99-4ED0-8069-924F3397B850.thumb.jpeg.9f328861176bd23a230fd44370778a21.jpeg

Considering that on beanilla.com, the same vanilla beans are $9.95 each, that is an amazing bargain. The test will be how moist they are since (as is obvious) there isn't much one can do with a dry vanilla bean. I just ordered two tiny containers of ground vanilla beans (no additives) from Beanilla to see if they measure up (I hate scraping vanilla beans).