• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Techniques for drinking chocolate

mebinsf

I can’t seem to find a thread on techniques for creating a drinking chocolate “mix” for retail sale. I’d prefer to use a ground or grated chocolate either with or without cocoa powder. And hints on how to “grate or grind” chocolate without it melting? Freeze it first? I seem to recall reading something about using tempered vs untempered. One seems to melt better and produce a better mouth feel. Any suggestions or hints are greatly appreciated. 

Remember that, even grated, your packets would have to be carefully stored in cool places. A few hours in a hot car would give customers a puddle instead of a powder.

You'd have to be careful about shelf life, but, a different solution would be to sell chunks of ganache designed to be added to hot water. I used this method at a cafe I used to work at where we sold just a few cups a day (it's Phoenix, it's never that cold here!) and having a dedicated machine would have been wasteful. One idea would be to sell the chunks as a 'lollipop' with a stirrer/spoon as the handle.

• Like 2

I like the idea of a jarred Ganache. The flavor options could be endless. 

I’m in the San Francisco area, so excessive heat isn’t usually an issue. 

I was was hoping someone might have some experience with grating or grinding chocolate. I see lots of chocolatiers and chocolate makers using chocolate vs cocoa powder. I intend to do some experimenting but egullet is such a great starting point. 

• Like 1

@mebinsf, what kind of volume are you thinking?  Something you'll make a few dozen or hundred of, or are we talking distribution by the case?

I've made a hot chocolate mix the past few winters that is mostly cocoa powder and sugar but does have dark chocolate ground into it.  I make it the food processor with the blade.  All the dry stuff keeps the chocolate from melting and sticking back together.  I start with feves or pistoles that are already small.  If you have large blocks or less cocoa/sugar, something else might be better.