• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chileheadmike

chileheadmike

Someone on another forum I read asked for a recipe for chile verde. It's a Kansas Jayhawk sports forum so I go into more details than I would on a cooking forum. I used to manage a Mexican restaurant in Lawrence and this is fairly close to what we were serving. 

I like to use pork shoulder for this, I think it has better flavor than loin. It will take longer to cook and it does have some more fat in it. You can probably get country style pork ribs. But make sure they are from the shoulder also called the butt. Trim them off of the bone and trim away any large pieces of fat.

I use an enameled cast iron Dutch oven for this. It’s heave and works very well for long, slow cooks. If you don’t have one, get your heaviest Dutch oven. It will hold heat well and help prevent scorching. 

2+ Lbs diced pork
Olive oil
1 onion
3 or so cloves of garlic
A ton of roasted, peeled and diced green chiles (some hatch chiles are very hot, the ones I got this year are not. Dice up a couple of serranos if you need more heat)
Flour
Salt and pepper
Spice mix of onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, cumin, and oregano (Mexican if you have it, use Mexican oregano very sparingly, strong stuff.)
Chicken stock. Homemade is best, a box of Swanson’s is fine.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Heat Dutch oven over medium heat.
Once the pork is trimmed and diced into bite sized pieces, give it S&P, be generous. Toss in some flour. 
Add some olive oil to the pan, coat the bottom and then add the pork. Don’t crowd, if you do, the pork won’t brown. It may take two or three batches.
Once the pork is browned, remove from the pan. Lower heat Add onions and chiles. Sir this and scrape up the brown bits (fond) from the bottom of the pot. Keep cooking until the onions start to clear, then add your garlic and spices. Probably a tablespoon of each except if you are using Mexican oregano. If you’re using that, just half a teaspoon and crunch it up in your hands before you add it. 
Stir, stir, stir for a minute or so. You don’t want the garlic to burn.
You may need to add a touch more oil, then add a couple of tablespoons of flour and stir some more. For about a minute. 
Add chicken stock and the meat back in along with any juices. Stir until smooth. Turn heat down to low and cover. Cook until pork is very tender, could be an hour or so. Stir to make sure it’s not sticking/burning. Add more stock/water if necessary.
You can add some more spices towards the end and check for salt. If it isn’t thick enough, get a cup of water and whisk some flour into it. Make sure the chile verde is at a gentle boil/ simmer and stir the slurry in. Stir, stir, stir. Let is simmer for about 10 minutes to cook the flour. 

I like to serve it with rice.

ETA Yikes, sorry about the highlighting.

chileheadmike

chileheadmike

Someone on another forum I read asked for a recipe for chile verde. It's a Kansas Jayhawk sports forum so I go into more details than I would on a cooking forum. I used to manage a Mexican restaurant in Lawrence and this is fairly close to what we were serving. 

I like to use pork shoulder for this, I think it has better flavor than loin. It will take longer to cook and it does have some more fat in it. You can probably get country style pork ribs. But make sure they are from the shoulder also called the butt. Trim them off of the bone and trim away any large pieces of fat.

I use an enameled cast iron Dutch oven for this. It’s heave and works very well for long, slow cooks. If you don’t have one, get your heaviest Dutch oven. It will hold heat well and help prevent scorching. 

2+ Lbs diced pork
Olive oil
1 onion
3 or so cloves of garlic
A ton of roasted, peeled and diced green chiles (some hatch chiles are very hot, the ones I got this year are not. Dice up a couple of serranos if you need more heat)
Flour
Salt and pepper
Spice mix of onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, cumin, and oregano (Mexican if you have it, use Mexican oregano very sparingly, strong stuff.)
Chicken stock. Homemade is best, a box of Swanson’s is fine.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Heat Dutch oven over medium heat.
Once the pork is trimmed and diced into bite sized pieces, give it S&P, be generous. Toss in some flour. 
Add some olive oil to the pan, coat the bottom and then add the pork. Don’t crowd, if you do, the pork won’t brown. It may take two or three batches.
Once the pork is browned, remove from the pan. Lower heat Add onions and chiles. Sir this and scrape up the brown bits (fond) from the bottom of the pot. Keep cooking until the onions start to clear, then add your garlic and spices. Probably a tablespoon of each except if you are using Mexican oregano. If you’re using that, just half a teaspoon and crunch it up in your hands before you add it. 
Stir, stir, stir for a minute or so. You don’t want the garlic to burn.
You may need to add a touch more oil, then add a couple of tablespoons of flour and stir some more. For about a minute. 
Add chicken stock and the meat back in along with any juices. Stir until smooth. Turn heat down to low and cover. Cook until pork is very tender, could be an hour or so. Stir to make sure it’s not sticking/burning. Add more stock/water if necessary.
You can add some more spices towards the end and check for salt. If it isn’t thick enough, get a cup of water and whisk some flour into it. Make sure the chile verde is at a gentle boil/ simmer and stir the slurry in. Stir, stir, stir. Let is simmer for about 10 minutes to cook the flour. 

I like to serve it with rice.