• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cryo-shucking Lobster

Tuber magnatum

Hello crustacean lovers!  I have read and viewed videos on cryo-shucking oysters and reference to using the technique for other bivalves which makes sense.  If not familiar, you basically drop oyster in Liquid Nitrogen for 15 seconds, remove and let rest 30 minutes.  They will open up a bit allowing shell to be removed with out damage to shell or oyster.  It is described in pod cast by Chef Anjana Shanker of the Modernist Cuisine Lab and in attached video.  Partway through her description she comments on its use for lobster but doesn't describe the process.  The closest instruction I have found is https://modernistcuisine.com/2014/07/cooking-for-ferran-adria-reflecting-on-inspiration-and-innovation/ but it isn't clear exactly how it is done.  Drop whole lobster in N2? Just claw or tail? How then do you remove shell? Has any one tried this and how specifically do you do it?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting question... cannot fathom an answer for you, though. 

No commonalities in busting the meat out of a crustacean and popping the adductor muscle in a shellfish... LN2 might make the hulk-smash method of getting at lobster meat extra shattery... but I have no serious ideas about how it could be used to efficiently get at the stuff under a lobster shell.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch