• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with big batch of seized pumpkin fudge?

jrshaul

I overcooked my pumpkin fudge a bit, and now it's highly granular buttery pumpkin sugar. Tastes pretty good, though.

I was thinking about mixing it into some heavy cream to make pumpkin sauce, but does anyone have any other ideas? Maybe beat it into cream cheese to make cake frosting? Would running it in a food processor make it less granular?

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)

15 minutes ago, jrshaul said:

I overcooked my pumpkin fudge a bit, and now it's highly granular buttery pumpkin sugar. Tastes pretty good, though.

I was thinking about mixing it into some heavy cream to make pumpkin sauce, but does anyone have any other ideas? Maybe beat it into cream cheese to make cake frosting? Would running it in a food processor make it less granular?

Wonder if you could add some water, cook it back to the original temperature and crystallize it again? 

• Like 1

I think your first suggestion of sauce probably makes the most sense then!

Or what if you made some cinnamon bun dough, mixed your fudge with sufficient butter and spread on the bun dough and rolled it up (maybe a cream cheese layer too), slice, proof and bake as for rolls.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Or what if you made some cinnamon bun dough, mixed your fudge with sufficient butter and spread on the bun dough and rolled it up (maybe a cream cheese layer too), slice, proof and bake as for rolls.

Wow... I almost want to make and intentionally mess up a batch of pumpkin fudge just to try that.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think your first suggestion of sauce probably makes the most sense then!

My suggestion only sounded good until someone said "pumpkin spice rolls."

I just picked up a copy of Greweling's book. If I wanted to seed a fudge with the right crystals for consistency, what kind of fondant am I looking at? And any thoughts on the use of lecithin?

5 minutes ago, jrshaul said:

My suggestion only sounded good until someone said "pumpkin spice rolls."

I just picked up a copy of Greweling's book. If I wanted to seed a fudge with the right crystals for consistency, what kind of fondant am I looking at? And any thoughts on the use of lecithin?

I use soft white fondant which would be 115º fondant I believe - I have a 50 lb pail of it in my chocolate room. I don't know about using lecithin in fudge. Not something I've done before.

• Like 1