• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarianism

In the last couple of years, two of my best friends have become vegetarians. Based on your expert knowledge, is there a trend? If so, what accounts for it? I was a vegetarian back in the 1970s. My first cookbook, which I still use, was The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas. I was glad to see you mentioned her in an earlier post.

Lobster.

Thanks for writing in. Yes, I believe there is a growing trend, and due, in large part, to Americans' increasing interest in farm-fresh produce and in finding healthier lifestylesÑdespite the recent spurt of interest in the Atkins' diet, for example. It's interesting to find that tempting vegetarian entrees are showing up on restaurant menus more often, and that such entrees are really creative and charged with flavors. But even home cooks can get inspired when they can turn to local farmers' markets for ultra-fresh seasonal produce. That's certainly true in Washington, DC, for example, with its multiplicity of seasonal markets and gorgeous fresh fruits and vegetables. So, keep eating well!! Thanks, Alexandra