• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiced Wafers, a Philly fall staple

gfweb

55 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ah, I must explain myself.  The "few bites" was in reference to @ElsieD's query and only applied to the ice cream sandwiches.

Whew. I was beginning to worry that you had some health issue or other!  Or perhaps far too much will-power for your own good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, gfweb said:

It’s spiced wafer season again!  The (otherwise hideous) Acme Market, has them @  2 for $5. I harvested a few boxes. 

I still have two boxes left over from last year.  They were on sale.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

Last year I bought several packages of these from Walmart (online).  

Now they're only available in-store....but not where I live.    Sigh.

I don't know how they compare to the commercial version but the recipe that @Anna N linked to upthread in this post makes an excellent cookie that I bet would be just the thing to enjoy along with your homemade peach ice cream! 

• Like 3

I have a box of Sweetzels in the pantry (courtesy of Acme Market), ate about half of a sleeve over the past couple of days. I keep thinking that the tub-o-cheesecake filling might be pretty damn good to dip them in. Although I've never eaten that product, so maybe it's really foul and processed tasting and I'm setting myself up for disappointment (the dream is better than the reality).

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I have a box of Sweetzels in the pantry (courtesy of Acme Market), ate about half of a sleeve over the past couple of days. I keep thinking that the tub-o-cheesecake filling might be pretty damn good to dip them in. Although I've never eaten that product, so maybe it's really foul and processed tasting and I'm setting myself up for disappointment (the dream is better than the reality).

Cream cheese or cheddar is nice with them

59 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Spiced wafers.....are they like a gingersnap?

Yes, but to my taste, milder.

Edit:  Checking the website, Sweetzels also makes ginger snaps.  The difference is that their ginger snaps contain "ginger" while their spiced wafers contain "spices".  Never having had the ginger snaps, I'd suspect the spiced wafers are also crisper.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, lindag said:

Last year I bought several packages of these from Walmart (online).  

Now they're only available in-store....but not where I live.    Sigh.

https://www.sweetzels.com/store/sweetzels-spiced-wafers-16-oz

$2.99 a box.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Do you still have/know the source?

Here you go. clickety

Originally from Yankee Kitchen Ninja. I think the thread originally referred to Ivins Spiced Wafers, and that's what I googled and found these. Easy and good, but I don't cook them as brown and crisp as recommended; I like them chewier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Have not seen this year's crop at Shoprite.  Have not visited Wawa recently to check.  Spiced Wafers are as much a harbinger of autumn as flu shots  and a lot more fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Shoot!  Saw these in the Wildwood Acme and Rio Grande Shoprite but hadn't read this thread yet.  I adore gingersnaps … homemade from my great-grandmother's recipe(soft) or from a bag to dunk in coffee or crush up to thicken my sauerbraten gravy.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 9 months later...