• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tante Marie's Cooking School

Stone

A friend of mine is thinking of signing up for a six week beginner's course at Tante Marie's cooking school. (She doesn't want me to teach her. Claims that I'm too picky. So I told her she was holding her knife wrong. She was.)

Anybody have any experience, thoughts, anecdotes, doseydotes, rumors, scandals or reviews of their classes?

I know several people who have taken the pastry program. It's intensive and thorough and apparently fairly well regarded in the business. I don't know as much about the cooking side, but I imagine it's good. And I can't think of any alternatives in the area that I think are better.

• 2 years later...

I thought maybe I could get this ball rolling once again.

I am seriously considering Tante Marie's cooking program myself. Unfortunately, I can find very little information about it. I've visited their website which was helpful though not very extensive.

The school seems like a good match for my concerns (cost, size and location) but I would like to hear as many opinions, both faborable and unfavorable, as possible before I commit to the school.

I would really love to hear from alumni. How do you feel about the training? How have you been received in the industry?

I hope someone responds to this.

"Champagne was served. Emma shivered from head to toe as she felt the iced wine in her mouth. She had never seen pomegranates nor tasted pineapples..." - Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

jgarner53 had a blog during her six months at Tante Marie. I'm not qualified to comment on the school, but the blog was wonderful!

I'm at work and can't take the time to look for the blog--anyone have it handy?

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I'm SO excited. I have applied to Tante Marie's. If they accept me, I'll be sure to let everyone on e-gullet know my impressions.

Edited by gnkindrick (log)

"Champagne was served. Emma shivered from head to toe as she felt the iced wine in her mouth. She had never seen pomegranates nor tasted pineapples..." - Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I'm SO excited.  I have applied to Tante Marie's.  If they accept me, I'll be sure to let everyone on e-gullet know my impressions.

Please do! I just went on the website and I'm very interested in their programs. I'm even considering the 6 months pastry program. :raz:

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken week long and weekend long classes there, and have always enjoyed myself greatly. I'm not a professional cook (nor do I play one on the Food Network, a-hem...), and to me the classes have always been pitched at my level. But these are not classes pointed to the pro's, though they are taught by the same staff.

The instructors are very generous with both their time and talent, and I think there is not a greater praise I can give than that.

• 1 month later...

Since no one on e-gullet could *really* answer any of the questions I posed a couple of months ago, I'm making myself available to anyone who's curious about Tante Marie's Cooking School.

I just started my fourth week in the full-time, professional culinary program. So far it has been wonderful. I've been extremely pleased with almost every aspect of the program.

There are thirteen of us studying this session and it is a perfectly-sized group. In fact, many have stated that the small size of the school is one of the main reasons why we chose Tante Marie's.

Most of us are career-switchers who have been around the block once or twice. All of us are highly enthusiastic and passionate about food. It is at least once per day that I find myself in awe that EVERYDAY I get to cook and interact with people who care about food and are as curious about it as I.

The staff for the professional culinary program is comprised of one, full-time chef/instructor and one part-time chef/instructor. Both of them are first-rate, professional, inspirational, and know a LOT about food, catering, and restaurants. They are also patient and genuinely good teachers.

There are also demonstrations from other chefs and professionals in the field (like tomorrow, we'll spend the afternoon learning all about fish - cleaning and filleting them and otherwise). I find these classes to be particularly refreshing - it's a change from our regular schedule - but mostly useful. I can't wait to hear and see what Tom Worthington from the Monterey Fish Company has to say and will do tomorrow during our demonstration.

So, now I can report with some knowledge of the school, that I'm loving it.

Happy Eating.

Since no one on e-gullet could *really* answer any of the questions I posed a couple of months ago, I'm making myself available to anyone who's curious about Tante Marie's Cooking School.

Gee, I reread the thread and thought you got some decent feedback, especially if you found the blog.

Anyway, congratulations on going for it and great that you are loving it. What's the goal? To learn or to change careers? And what does the school have to say about alumni experiences in the world after school?