• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco v. Amazon

Anna N

Click

An interesting article on how Costco aims to keep its place as Amazon takes over the world.😊

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Interesting, and thank you.   I order quite a bit from Amazon, but  I'd never give up my Costco membership.  I've been a customer of Costco's long enough to know what they carry and will always shop there first.  Stores that I don't shop at much any more are the three major stores in our area.  Since a Farm Boy (US folk think of a quasi Trader Joe's) moved in around the corner, they too get a lot of my business.  I don't much like shopping other than for food so Amazon fills that need nicely.

• Like 1

When I was growing up we had Price Clubs, founded by Sol Price (who started the famous southern California grocery store chain called Fed Mart).

Then Costco bought Price Club and it was Costco-Price Club for a while before dropping the "Price" from the name.

So my family has been long time Costco shoppers. I wonder if my mom's love of their sauerkraut hot dogs from their food court is the real reason we kept renewing our membership. :laugh:

I was drawn to Amazon as an alternative to iTunes. Then found their book section and I've never left. 

The one thing we've learned about Costco is if you see it and think you want it, buy it because you won't see it again.¬¬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

There are no Costcos in Arkansas, I guess because they don't want to take on Sam's Club on its home turf.  I've been to the ones in Memphis and Nashville with the kids, and it's generally a better variety of non-food merchandise. I know a lot of y'all get meat at Costco; as I buy almost all mine from local farmers, that really isn't an issue for me, though I did buy a beef tenderloin at Sam's for a Christmas dinner once. It was good, but I overcooked it. 

I do like Sam's for things like laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, and, oddly enough, underwear. I don't buy a lot of food other than snacky stuff.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

When I was growing up we had Price Clubs, founded by Sol Price

The one thing we've learned about Costco is if you see it and think you want it, buy it because you won't see it again.¬¬

yup. Except meats and Kirkland products. For a while they had a great aged Gouda. Then poof, it's never seen again.  I shop there for meat and dog bones. That alone pays for it. Add in golf balls and lamb and parm  and it's a no brainer. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Amazon can be quite handy but as a household of three (which includes two cats), there is no value for me in Costco. 

But only needing to shop a few times a year for such things as toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, garbage bags, laundry detergent, etc., still makes it a value for me. But I piggy bag on friend’s and relative’s memberships.  Most of the orger things come in much too large a quantity to make sense for me who is often without even two cats!

I use Amazon as much to defeat Canada Post as for any other reason. 😦

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I gave up my Costco membership this last year.  Now I exclusively use Walmart (home delivery) and Amazon for my household staples and I have a very good grocery store nearby for fresh products.

Costco became a burden for me although I did often buy items from them online.

As another household of three, including the two dogs, it was too much of a hassle to shop there, pack it all in the car, then unpack and put away everything....and the quantities are just too large for most things.

I don't miss it much although there are a few items that I could only get from them.

What I do miss is their meat and seafood and Parm.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

I use Costco for laundry soap, toilet paper, cat litter, some meat, leafy greens for the chickens, toothpaste and other odds and ends.  I use Amazon for make up, tea, books.  Even though it’s just my son and I the large pack items at Costco are useful.

• Like 1

We are two adults and we use Costco for toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, kitchen and other garbage bags, laundry soap, dishwasher soap, cream (both half and half and whipping), eggs, butter, artichokes in oil (love 'em), Praeventia cookies, some meat for human and/or dogs, ...can't think else,...oh, especially for gas.  Right.  Collier's cheese, parmesan blocks, One Buns, Kirkland Vegetable burgers (for me) , Canola oil, nuts, ...I'll just quit now...

Don't 'use' Amazon.ca for anything, except the occasional purchase. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

23 hours ago, Toliver said:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Costco for just about everything (2 person household).  I trust the Costco quality and trust their buyers.  Been a member of Price Club, way before Costco came into the picture.  Trader Joe's fills in the gaps, a bit of Whole Foods now and then.  I have used Amazon Grocery Subscribe n Save on things I just can't locate locally, but I have to watch that carefully due to extreme price flucuations month to month.  

I just don't trust Amazon like I trust Costco.  

• Like 1