• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

DJ Silverchild

Help! My 2 Layer Gianduja split! What Can I Do With It?

I made 2 layer  cannabis infused milk/dark gianduja with feuilletine and the dark and milk layers are splitting.  I'm devastated because that confection is my favorite hands down.  This is the second time I've run into this issue.  

Even though I heated the first layer so it was slightly melted before I added the second, it's still splitting. I'm losing over half the pieces. I've tried 2 knives and a guitar cutter. The guitar cutter won't even get through the dark gianduja.  I could heat and put together each piece but it looks horrible.

So now I have all these split pieces. What can I make, even if I have to separate the milk from dark by hand (ugh)?  It contains cannabis so I'm not tossing it out and would like to make something I can sell.  I really don't feel like wasting more time guessing for a solution so I hope the community can help.

Also, in the future, how do I make this work?  How does anyone?  Should I not temperthe gianduja so it will be softer?

Edited by DJ Silverchild (log)

Thank you for the reply.  You've answered a few of my posts and I appreciate that.  

Can I temper milk and chocolate gianduja together?  How would I set the temperatures because they're very different.

Just now, DJ Silverchild said:

will the wafers being in it screw that up?

Should still work fine - what method do you use to temper?

So it's too hard to cut with a guitar and the layers come apart from each other and crack when you cut them with a knife? 

I think you still want to temper it but you do need a softer gianduja.  Add a higher proportion of nut paste, or some nut oil, or even browned butter or coconut oil to soften them.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DJ Silverchild said:

I have a Chocovision Delta and use seed normally.

A little more breakup of the feuillitine likely with the Chocovision - what temps do you use for the milk gianduja?

First time I ever saw guitar strings break was at Tomric when Gianluca Fusto was cutting a dark chocolate gianduja. Think there might have been one string left when it was done (and no gianduja was harmed)!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJ Silverchild said:

112-->82-->86

Those are high temperatures for milk chocolate - and even higher for a gianduja. I usually go down another 2º C for each stage. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

First time I ever saw guitar strings break was at Tomric when Gianluca Fusto was cutting a dark chocolate gianduja. Think there might have been one string left when it was done (and no gianduja was harmed)!

I've broken many a guitar string on gianduja.  😆  I find it helps to cut it as soon as you can, there's a point at which it is set and firm enough to handle but not yet as hard as it will get.  Since you're doing two layers, try pouring the softer one in the frame first and letting it set, then add the firmer one.  Once the firmer one is just set, flip it so it's on the bottom and cut the slab.

• Like 4