• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bragging on Mr. Kim

Kim Shook

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but it can be placed elsewhere, if needed.  Mr. Kim's birthday was in August and he decided that what he'd like to do is to take a class that he'd heard about that would get him certified as a BBQ judge.  It was sponsored by Kansas City BBQ Society.  The class was at our most local BBQ place – about 5 minutes away.  He said it was MUCH more in depth than he thought it would be.  And folks were there from all over the East coast.  They were very jealous that he was just around the corner.  He came home exhausted, happy and FULL of BBQ.  Not sure where this will go, but he's thrilled to have done it.

DSCN8606.JPG.4748ad5ae2030469f34502650e455540.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Congrats. I got mine in KC in 2005, I think. Great class and a lot of fun. I'm still trying to convince my wife that ribs should not "fall off the bone".  

I got an ugly gray name tag instead of a cool badge like that.  It did come with a blue polo shirt though. 

• Like 4

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

11 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Congrats. I got mine in KC in 2005, I think. Great class and a lot of fun. I'm still trying to convince my wife that ribs should not "fall off the bone".  

Yep!  If it falls off the bone, it's pulled pork - NOT ribs!  

• Like 3

John and I judged at bbq comps for the then Canadian Southern BBQ Association.  We judged for about 7 years and really enjoyed it.  We had some truly spectacular stuff, and very little, but some, really awful stuff.  And no, the meat on ribs should NOT fall off the bone but rather, require a gentle tug.  

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 3