• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended electronic candy thermometer with alarm?

jrshaul

I've been having the devil's own time getting consistent results with my alcohol thermometer, and holding the thermocouple probe in hot sugar just so is not ideal either. A thermometer that'd alert me when I'm in a few degrees of cooked would be nice - but the options from standards like Polder and CDN do not have good reviews on Amazon. Can anyone suggest something?

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Thermoworks Dot also has an alarm.  I have both the Dot and the ChefAlarm and the additional buttons make the ChefAlarm easier to set for alarms. 

They sell the $4 multi-hole clip to hold the probe and it works well, though similar clips are also available elsewhere.

My ChefAlarm came with a clip.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, boilsover said:

I have a ThermoQ, and it's rugged, dependable and affordable.  It accepts a wide range of Type K probes, and the alarm is very loud.  The magnetic silicone boot is worth having, too.

I'll second that, Thermoworks' magnetic boot is really nice.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou