• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Desserts by Francisco Migoya

BenA

I was wondering if anyone else had read the Frozen Desserts book by Francisco Migoya?  I was reading the formula for calculating the amount of powder milk solids in the base. But I had a hard time comprehending the reason behind the lower part of the formula....see pic attached. I understand the upper part where the recommended amount of solids is subtracted with the amount of calculated solids in the serum. But then this is furthermore divided by the percentage of solids in skim milk powder minus the percentage amount of solids in liquid skim milk. ...there it gets a bit confusing. I'm guessing it's assuming that the amount of solids calculated in the upper part of the formula is not purely milk solids (without fat) so it's to get the right ratio but why subtract the percentage amount of solids in liquid skim milk in the Bottom half? Anyone else looked at this? Thanks 

IMG_20180908_124932691.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)