• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glazing problems

Madsandersen

Hello eGullet!

I was making a white glaze, this is the recipe for that:

- 18 g gelatine sheets

- 160 g water

- 126 g sugar

- 185 g glucose sirup

- 160 g neutral mirror glaze

- 115 g condensed milk

- 207 g white chocolate (28% Callebaut)

- 10 g titanium dioxide (white color powder)

Applying to the frozen cake at 34°C.

Then I was mixing colorpaste to the neutral mirror glaze and heating them to 60°C

But the two glazes seems to separate, they do not "fuse" into each other in a natural way. It works if I color some of the white glaze (used for the cake) with my color paste but the color of that one becomes "dull/bad color" (see picture) because it is a white base colored with green. I want the colors to be bright.

Do you have any suggestions or recipes to solve my issues? 

Thanks!

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

8 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Can you mix the glaze but set aside a portion that will be colored green before adding the titanium dioxide? One glaze, two (or more) colors. 

You think that it would help to avoid the white color in the glaze with the green color? :) 

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Can you mix the glaze but set aside a portion that will be colored green before adding the titanium dioxide? One glaze, two (or more) colors. 

Is it because I am mixing my glaze and the mirror glaze (store bought product)? 

Because I succeeded applying the mirror glaze mixed with gold dust on this cake... 

Glaze 2.0.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madsandersen said:

It works if I color some of the white glaze (used for the cake) with my color paste but the color of that one becomes "dull/bad color" (see picture) because it is a white base colored with green. I want the colors to be bright.

3 hours ago, Madsandersen said:

You think that it would help to avoid the white color in the glaze with the green color? :) 

Yes, it sounds like the white in the glaze is interfering with you getting a good green color.