• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Build your own chocolate tempering machine

Madsandersen

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sure - melt about 3/4 of it. And reserve the rest for seed.

I would be a bit skeptical that "ancient milk chocolate" could be still in temper and act as seed...

Better if Jo waits for your package.

Teo

Teo

My mom had offered to get me the precise heat mixing bowl for chocolate tempering but after looking into it I thought it wouldn't be useful for me, but that was probably just due to size.

I'm trying to remember the name of a guy who would do the Portland, OR chocolate fest and offered his own version of a tempering machine, you might be able to glean a few things ... aha! here he is:  http://www.chocolatedude.net/

18 minutes ago, teonzo said:

I would be a bit skeptical that "ancient milk chocolate" could be still in temper and act as seed...

Teo

The chocolate in question has been sitting in my bedroom for about six years.

What is some good reading material about the subject?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The chocolate in question has been sitting in my bedroom for about six years.

If the temperature of your bedroom went over 33°C for even only one day (which is quite probable) during these years then the chocolate went out of temper. When it goes out of temper it develops some surface bloom (you see some white streaks, it is not shiny anymore) and changes texture (when you break it it is soft and does not make the correct "snap").

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is some good reading material about the subject?

Most people here, me included, consider "Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling to be the best book on the subject. Maybe you can find it in your library.

Another good source is "Fine Chocolates: Great Experience" by Jean-Pierre Wybauw, it should be free to read on google books.

Teo

Teo

As someone with a wee bit of experience in building stuff, I'd recommend:

1. Assemble at a wood box with a hole in the top to fit a metal bowl and a wooden shelf below the bowl. Box should be about 300mm taller than the bowl, with substantial space below the shelf.  Birch ply for preference - it's a good thermal insulator. Paint it with something that'll withstand some water.
2. Fit a metal bowl with ~14mm a hex bolt on the bottom using JB weld. Center it carefully, or it won't really work.
3. Laser cut from acrylic a wiper that fits closely to the bowl. You'll likely need to add some sort of flexible wiper to keep chocolate from sticking to the bowl and getting burnt. Fit a standard K-type thermocouple probe to the wiper so the metal bit is poking into the chocolate area.
4. Fit a geared brushed (yes, this matters) motor with a socket that fits the hex bolt. Asynchronous brushed motors can be controlled with a lamp dimmer. Alternately, an AC synchronous motor of about 80RPM should work.
5. In the cavity below the bowl, fit 3 light sockets with 60W bulbs. (These can be increased later if required.) The shelf for the motor should obscure these from the bowl.
6. Fit a small AC fan to blow over the light bulbs. You're going to need one that can take a lot of heat.
7. Connect the 3 light sockets to a standard PID controller, connected to the K type thermocouple in the wiper.

This will get you a more-or-less reasonable clone of a Chocovision. The bowl and wiper sit on top of the unit; the motor sits within it to spin the bowl, and the lightbulbs and fan provide even heat inside the unit. Wood is recommended for its' low thermal conductivity and relatively low thermal density - it won't likely give you any overshoot problems.  Similar designs work for soldering work...

If this sounds like a giant pain in the rear end, I would look into getting one shipped from the USA as a used item. Some sellers will do this, and you're still under $300USD with shipping and customs.

Edited by jrshaul (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, teonzo said:

If the temperature of your bedroom went over 33°C for even only one day (which is quite probable) during these years then the chocolate went out of temper. When it goes out of temper it develops some surface bloom (you see some white streaks, it is not shiny anymore) and changes texture (when you break it it is soft and does not make the correct "snap").

Most people here, me included, consider "Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling to be the best book on the subject. Maybe you can find it in your library.

Another good source is "Fine Chocolates: Great Experience" by Jean-Pierre Wybauw, it should be free to read on google books.

Teo

Thanks, I stopped at work for a copy of Chocolates and Confections on my way home from the store.  Now on my dining room table.  It looks well used.

Yes, I'd say my bedroom has seen some extremes of temperature in the last six years.  But I think just for fun I'll throw the stuff in the PHMB and see what happens.  I'll use the video Kerry linked as my reference.  Since what I have is milk chocolate, I assume I should adjust the temperature accordingly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, teonzo said:

Teo

Did have that same thought!

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, I stopped at work for a copy of Chocolates and Confections on my way home from the store.  Now on my dining room table.  It looks well used.

Yes, I'd say my bedroom has seen some extremes of temperature in the last six years.  But I think just for fun I'll throw the stuff in the PHMB and see what happens.  I'll use the video Kerry linked as my reference.  Since what I have is milk chocolate, I assume I should adjust the temperature accordingly.

Yes - seed down to around 29º C for a working temperature I'd say. 

22 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Did have that same thought!

This chocolate is most certainly not in temper.  I thought the whole idea of heating, cooling, and reheating was to get it into temper?

(Maybe I should read the book.)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This chocolate is most certainly not in temper.  I thought the whole idea of heating, cooling, and reheating was to get it into temper?

(Maybe I should read the book.)

Yes - heating, cooling and reheating will temper totally untempered chocolate. When seeding (heating, then cooling with seed) you don't reheat - so your seed has to be good. 

The 'wild crystallization' method - (heating, cooling, reheating) would have you take the chocolate up to around 45, down to around 25, then back up again to around 29.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yes - heating, cooling and reheating will temper totally untempered chocolate. When seeding (heating, then cooling with seed) you don't reheat - so your seed has to be good. 

The 'wild crystallization' method - (heating, cooling, reheating) would have you take the chocolate up to around 45, down to around 25, then back up again to around 29.

Those temperatures would work with milk chocolate?

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Indeed, though Fahrenheit tastes better.

Gotta say - now that I've had 43 odd years to get used to Celsius - it's grown on me taste wise!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Gotta say - now that I've had 43 odd years to get used to Celsius - it's grown on me taste wise!

I have two thermapens.  One I keep in Fahrenheit, one in Celsius.  I anova in Celsius and bake in Fahrenheit.  Since the PHMB does only Fahrenheit, I guess I temper in Fahrenheit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Those temperatures would work with milk chocolate?

You can take advantage of your equipment and use a "simplified" method:

- melt the milk chocolate at 45°C

- cool it to 29°C (just set the machine temperature at 29°C and wait)

- agitate the melted chocolate with the paddle attachment (totally avoid the whisk attachment) at minimum speed for around 20 seconds (or by hand, using a silicone spatula or similar)

- keep the temperature at 29°C and test if the chocolate is tempered

- if it's not tempered, then agitate more

The wild crystallization method needs some agitation to form the good crystals, if you just cool the melted milk chocolate to 25°C and reheat to 29°C without agitation then it's difficult to get it in temper. The cooling + reheating was meant mainly for practical reasons: this method was used by tabling the chocolate with a spatula, in that way you need time to agitate the chocolate for enough time to form the good crystals, during that time the temperature lowers and reaches the zone where bad crystals start to form too, so it was needed to reheat the chocolate to melt the bad crystals and keep the good ones. Since your machine is able to keep a constant temperature of 29°C, then better use that feature and simplify the operations.

Teo

Teo

On 9/7/2018 at 8:02 AM, Madsandersen said:

I have been thinking about building my own chocolate tempering machine (as I can't afford a professional expensive one). Have been thinking about combining some kind of mixer with my sous vide? Do you have any good ideas? Or heard of someone, who have done the same?

If you look on French sites you can find some small tempering machines for home use, like this one. Time ago I saw a model for around 200 euro, but can't remember where, sorry.

Teo

Teo

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

If you look on French sites you can find some small tempering machines for home use, like this one. Time ago I saw a model for around 200 euro, but can't remember where, sorry.

Teo

The Matfer you linked to is just a melter I think. I have one of those that has never worked! I notice this one states it should not be used as a tempering machine, just as a complimentary dipping machine. Wonder if taking it back to it's native land (230 volts) might cure it.

In europe you can get this melter inexpensively, while it is made for home use - it actually works beautifully, melts quickly, and holds temperature consistently. 

31 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

The Matfer you linked to is just a melter I think. I have one of those that has never worked! I notice this one states it should not be used as a tempering machine, just as a complimentary dipping machine.

Thanks for pointing this out. I must confess I'm totally ignorant on this kind of machines, I never used one in real life (I only worked with the tabling method or with a Selmi, from an extreme to the other).

Teo

Teo

12 hours ago, teonzo said:

You can take advantage of your equipment and use a "simplified" method:

- melt the milk chocolate at 45°C

- cool it to 29°C (just set the machine temperature at 29°C and wait)

- agitate the melted chocolate with the paddle attachment (totally avoid the whisk attachment) at minimum speed for around 20 seconds (or by hand, using a silicone spatula or similar)

- keep the temperature at 29°C and test if the chocolate is tempered

- if it's not tempered, then agitate more

The wild crystallization method needs some agitation to form the good crystals, if you just cool the melted milk chocolate to 25°C and reheat to 29°C without agitation then it's difficult to get it in temper. The cooling + reheating was meant mainly for practical reasons: this method was used by tabling the chocolate with a spatula, in that way you need time to agitate the chocolate for enough time to form the good crystals, during that time the temperature lowers and reaches the zone where bad crystals start to form too, so it was needed to reheat the chocolate to melt the bad crystals and keep the good ones. Since your machine is able to keep a constant temperature of 29°C, then better use that feature and simplify the operations.

Teo

I chopped up the chocolate (the horribly bloomed milk chocolate with almonds), adjusted the machine to 113F, and set a timer.  We shall see.

I need some help.  The induction heated bowl came up to 113F quickly.  Problem is after three hours with occasional stirring the chocolate hasn't melted.*  The mass of chocolate measures 110-111F and it is in a plastic state.  In the video that Kerry linked the chef had her bowl temperature set much higher.

Does chocolate require some time at temperature to liquify?  Or could my difficulty be due to all the nuts?

*It smells good though.

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I need some help.  The induction heated bowl came up to 113F quickly.  Problem is after three hours with occasional stirring the chocolate hasn't melted.*  The mass of chocolate measures 110-111F and it is in a plastic state.  In the video that Kerry linked the chef had her bowl temperature set much higher.

Does chocolate require some time at temperature to liquify?  Or could my difficulty be due to all the nuts?

*It smells good though.

I suspect because it is old chocolate it has probably taken on a lot of moisture and it may not melt successfully.

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I suspect because it is old chocolate it has probably taken on a lot of moisture and it may not melt successfully.

Thanks, Kerry.  I think I raise the temperature slightly and carry on with the experiment.

• Like 2