• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amaury Guichon classes

Chocolot

I have not been active on the site for some time, but was asked to make some chocolate covered caramels for my father-in-law, so brought out the book I inherited from my now departed mother-in-law. Father-in-law specifically wanted a caramel called Shirley's Wonderful Caramels. I have everything ready to go, but must make tonight's dinner first (Lemon and Fennel risotto).

Anyhow, I decided to log on to egullet to avail myself of any new threads since last i was here. On reading this thread, I noticed your name Chocolot; are you related to the Ruth A. Kendrik who co-edited this book 'Candymaking' with Pauline H. Atkinson?

Probably not Ruth, and I hope you don't mind me side-tracking your thread...

Oh, and Kerry; the EZtemper ranks as one of the most glorious purchases I have made.

Philip

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

I have not been active on the site for some time, but was asked to make some chocolate covered caramels for my father-in-law, so brought out the book I inherited from my now departed mother-in-law. Father-in-law specifically wanted a caramel called Shirley's Wonderful Caramels. I have everything ready to go, but must make tonight's dinner first (Lemon and Fennel risotto).

Anyhow, I decided to log on to egullet to avail myself of any new threads since last i was here. On reading this thread, I noticed your name Chocolot; are you related to the Ruth A. Kendrik who co-edited this book 'Candymaking' with Pauline H. Atkinson?

Probably not Ruth, and I hope you don't mind me side-tracking your thread...

Oh, and Kerry; the EZtemper ranks as one of the most glorious purchases I have made.

Philip

That is indeed our @Chocolot

Well goodness me!

My father-in-law will have some difficulty believing this. He told me that the book was bought in New York in 2002, whist he and my mother-in-law were on a holiday.

What a wonderful site egullet is; chocolatiers, authors, inventors et al...

Philip

• Like 2

Glad you are enjoying the book. I can’t believe it has been more than 34 years since we wrote it. I have changed most things, but the caramels are the same😀. My mother would be amazed to see what we are doing today. 

• Like 3

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

20 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

Glad you are enjoying the book. I can’t believe it has been more than 34 years since we wrote it. I have changed most things, but the caramels are the same😀. My mother would be amazed to see what we are doing today. 

Time for an updated edition!

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Well then time for an updated edition!

Hear hear! I'd love to have a new edition. I don't eat chocolates myself (type 1 diabetic, so I deliberatelysteer clear) but I enjoy, so much, making them for others to eat and an update on techniques etc would be most beneficial for me. For any wannabee chocolatier, the tip on 'signing chocolates' on page 153 of the current book, is worth the price alone; this is how everyone can individualise some of their dipped chocolates. It may be common knowledge to chocolatiers, but to me it is so exciting and, yes, new...

Philip

• Like 2