• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

liuzhou

Favorite Food Quotes

22 hours ago, IowaDee said:

"That was so bad"  "And there was so little of it".

-David Sedaris

That's an old joke immortalized in Woody Allen's monologue at the beginning of Annie Hall. 

• Like 1

Oh well, I can't stand Woody Allen so I missed that.  Sorry.

"God made food, the devil the cooks. Devilled crab."

James Joyce - Ulysses

Quote from my late Uncle Glen: "If there is an empty (serving) bowl on the table after dinner, then somebody didn't get enough to eat."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Quote from my late Uncle Glen: "If there is an empty (serving) bowl on the table after dinner, then somebody didn't get enough to eat."

I'm guessing your uncle wasn't Chinese, but that is a very Chinese sentiment. All the serving dishes and bowls being empty would reduce the host to total loss of face.

The dark side of that is the huge amount of food waste  I see here, although, to be fair there is a big doggy bag culture in restaurants and at home. Recently with more city dwelling people having fridges, uneaten lunch will turn up at dinner etc.

Out in the countryside, it is normal to cook slightly too much, especially when entertaining.The lack of refrigeration here in the countryside tropics rules out recycling, but the pigs have smiles on their faces (which we eat in winter).

• Like 3

On 9/8/2018 at 2:51 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

No matter what happens in the kitchen, never apologize - Julia Child

This is one I need to remember.  No one enjoys a meal that begins with the cook explaining how it could have been better if only I'd...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

but the pigs have smiles on their faces (which we eat in winter).

You eat the pigs?  The smiles? Or both?😂

Just couldn’t resist since I’ve heard of eating everything but the oink. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

This is one I need to remember.  No one enjoys a meal that begins with the cook explaining how it could have been better if only I'd...

This applies to life as well... that's why I love this quote so much.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

You eat the pigs?  The smiles? Or both?😂

Just couldn’t resist since I’ve heard of eating everything but the oink. 

Both.

1792337135_pighead6.thumb.JPG.bc370bd585e96ddc5537b9d688a89d77.JPG

• Haha 2

" “The heaventree of stars hung with humid nightblue fruit.”

James Joyce, Ulysses

• Like 1

“The cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go, she went.”

-Saki (H.H. Munro)

• Like 2

Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for a few days on nothing but food and water.

-W.C. Fields

• Haha 7

Posted (edited)

My grandfather on a Friday in lent, at a small restaurant in NY: "I'll have an order of shark eyebrows. Oh, they are not on your menu, well the lord knows I asked for fish, I'll have a steak, rare, just run him around the yard to warm him up, first."

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

My grandfather on a Friday in lent, at a small restaurant in NY: "I'll have an order of shark eyebrows. Oh, they are not on your menu, well the lord knows I asked for fish, I'll have a steak, rare, just run him around the yard to warm him up, first."

HC

I am reminded of a quote but I cannot find whom to credit:

”Steak so rare a good vet could bring back to life.”

And my late husband’s description of how his beef should be cooked. Again I cannot find the source:

”Wipe its ass and hooves and run it through the kitchen.”

• Like 1

One of my father's navy buddies used to order with the same "wipe its ass" comment, and if the server questioned this he'd amplify "Show it a match at 10 paces, and we're all good."

My uncle used to amuse himself at KFC by ordering a Bachelor Pack. When the young lady at the counter raised an inquiring eyebrow, he'd explain "All breasts and thighs."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am reminded of a quote but I cannot find whom to credit:

”Steak so rare a good vet could bring back to life.

And my late husband’s description of how his beef should be cooked. Again I cannot find the source:

”Wipe its ass and hooves and run it through the kitchen.

The first was said by Gordon Ramsay on one of his shows, although I can't be sure he was being entirely original.

The second seems to be a version of '' Knock off its horns, wipe its ass, and throw it on the plate"  as in the Australian film Barry McKenzie Holds His Own (1974) , although again I can't be sure that is the original either. I doubt anyone can. There are so many variations and close counterparts.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1