• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

13 hours ago, eugenep said:

based on the book "Making Artisan Chocolates" by Anders Garrison Shotts

Author makes 2lbs of chocolate per batch and he said you can't scale down or up and needs to be exact.

I have that book. I don't remember that particular bit of information about scaling being in there but, if it is, it's nonsense. You can scale ganache recipes (assuming that's what you're referring to since there is no information in that book that I recall on making your own chocolate) down to a very small amount or up as far as you have a container to accommodate very easily.

Edit: ignore this, didn't notice that the discussion had moved on to a second page and Jim had already addressed this.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

13 hours ago, eugenep said:

based on the book "Making Artisan Chocolates" by Anders Garrison Shotts

Author makes 2lbs of chocolate per batch and he said you can't scale down or up and needs to be exact.

I have that book. I don't remember that particular bit of information about scaling being in there but, if it is, it's nonsense. You can scale ganache recipes (assuming that's what you're referring to since there is no information in that book that I recall on making your own chocolate) down to a very small amount or up as far as you have a container to accommodate very easily.