• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Velvet spray" on a dark mousse

Rajala

I made a test version of a cake I've been working on, and thought that I might as well try to spray it with "velvet spray", to see if I could get the result I wanted. Turns out that it was a good idea to try this, because the color didn't really get as bright and colorful as I had hoped.

1. It's a dark mousse. Not dark chocolate but nut mousse so it's brown. Any suggestions on how to get a bright color when the mousse is not bright?

2. What do you use in terms of nozzle size when spraying the cocoa butter / white chocolate mix? I used a 0.8mm nozzle, but it feels like maybe I should use something little bigger to get a bit of more of the cocoa butter and chocolate mix on the product.

3. If using a compressor and not a paint gun, what PSI/BAR are you using?

Funny thing is that I did this a few months back, and it turned out really yellow and colorful, although that was sprayed on a vanilla mousse. It's also one if the times that my memory doesn't serve me well. Can't recall if I used my 0.8mm nozzle or the paint sprayer which I returned because it leaked.

Edited by Rajala
Third question (log)

I mixed the color with white color, thinking it would work a bit like cocoa butter, and maybe it will. However, when the mixture solidified - it looked really bright. Maybe I just need to add more color to it, will try it next time.

• Like 1

I made a new test, on a white mousse though - maybe I should've colored the mousse just to see. But I think the main issue was the 0.8mm nozzle. With 1.5mm, I seem to get a much better result.