• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Papaya - Ripe? Unripe? Help needed.

Anna N

I was first introduced to papaya in the late 70's at a huge grocery store in Los Angeles (Safeway related). The produce section had the extra large Mexican papayas (their moniker) set on a shelf above some of the produce. Cut open halves with a cling film covering were displayed to lovely effect - the mottled green skin, vibrant orange flesh and contrasting caviar-like glossy seeds. I succumbed once or twice and was underwhelmed and even the Panamanian was "you paid what?!". Lime might have helped. What I have found after sampling a number of fruits not common to my region is that I just do not enjoy lush plush very sweet smelling fruits. My banana issue s more historical but the concept applies. I am also not overly fond of figs. I had a neighbor friend who gloried in the figs I welcomed him to pick from my tree and was also a lurker at the local huge sapote tree. I on the other hand would coss the street to avoid the scent of the ripe fruit that had plopped onto the sidewalk. Give me a stone fruit and I am happy. Some apples may apply. Berries are in the middle. We are all different ;) 

Edited by heidih (log)