• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

It's a pity it's not a papaya, but it definitely isn't. Papayas are so much better and can be eaten both ripe and unripe. The famous Thai (actually it came from Laos) papaya salad is made from the unripe fruit.

Here are unripe papayas on a tree just outside my home. I'd steal one, but they are inside a police station's grounds.

221947510_papayatree3.thumb.jpg.2cfa27101d1474652a40ecd00d033a0b.jpg

When ripe, they do turn yellow, but do not have those white stripes in your photograph.

The Korean melon or chamoe which you have, while inexplicably popular in er, of all places, Korea, is one of the least interesting melons I've come across. We get them here, too. In fact, it was China which introduced them to Korea, largely because it seemed a good idea to dump the garbage on someone else. Allegedly.

liuzhou

liuzhou

It's a pity it's not a papaya, but it definitely isn't. Papayas are so much better and can be eaten both rips and unripe. The famous Thai (actually it came from Laos) papaya salad is made from the unripe fruit.

Here are unripe papayas on a tree just outside my home. I'd steal one, but they are inside a police station's grounds.

221947510_papayatree3.thumb.jpg.2cfa27101d1474652a40ecd00d033a0b.jpg

When ripe, they do turn yellow, but do not have those white stripes in your photograph.

The Korean melon or chamoe which you have, while inexplicably popular in er, of all places, Korea, is one of the least interesting melons I've come across. We get them here, too. In fact, it was China which introduced them to Korea, largely because it seemed a good idea to dump the garbage on someone else. Allegedly.