• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need some flavor inspiration for new truffle flavor

Sweet Impact Mama

If this is the wrong sort of thread to start, and this should go in an existing one, please someone - feel free to move it to a proper placement. ☺️

I've got myself in a bit of a conundrum. Made this absolutely love Kaffir lime infused dark chocolate ganache and was pairing it with a lime pate d'fruit & coconut, for summer truffles. But since I made it late in the season, I have loads of the fruit jelly and dark chocolate ganache left, but we're going into Fall and Winter (think Holiday) flavors, so I want to use it to make something lovely, but not sure what to do with it. I adore the sort of smell and flavor that the Kaffir leaves brought to the ganache... but not sure if it would be appropriate to pair it with a key lime pie sort of white chocolate ganache, which would allow me to utilize some of the lime p.d.f.. Also wondering if that would be too summery for a winter holidays flavor.

Looking for flavor pairing inspirations (and recipes if you feel like sharing), 'cause my creative brain is just grinding to a halt on this one. If it will help, here's my flavor line-up, so far, for the colder months:

a two layered peppermint truffle
Blood Orange Caramel & dark Chocolate layered
Cranberry Walnut

Pistachio Anise (maybe with a honey & Fig layer)
Dark Amaretto & Tart Cherries (a menu constant)
Midnight Caramel (liquid dark caramel inside 70% dark shell -also a standard flavor)
Mayan Spiced Drinking Chocolate Truffle (standard menu)
Chocolate Chai
Gingered Pumpkin Pecan
Espresso (standard menu - may add hazelnut for the holidays)

Thanks for any brainstorming help you'd like to do with me! 

• Like 1

Kaffir lime + cinnamon 

Kaffir lime + ginger + cardamon/cinnamon 

Kafir lime + rum + mace/nutmeg 

Lime pate + white chocolate, maybe + mint 

Lime pate + ginger + orange zest 

Lime pate + ginger + whiskey 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

I like gfweb’s idea. When the weather is dreary and cold, a nice summery truffle would make a good pick me up. A taste of the tropics when it’s cold and snowy. If you like how that truffle turned out, embrace the summer.

• Like 3

Kaffir lime ganache + pumpkin ganache

Kaffir lime ganache + coffee ganache

Kaffir lime ganache + carrot pate de fruit

Kaffir lime ganache + Campari ganache

Kaffir lime ganache + thyme ganache

Kaffir lime ganache + turmeric ganache

lime pate de fruit + jalapeno ganache

lime pate de fruit + chamomile ganache

lime pate de fruit + cumin ganache

lime pate de fruit + elderflower ganache

lime pate de fruit + poppyseeds ganache

lime pate de fruit + wasabi ganache

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

Sounds lovely .

Why let the season define everything?

Maybe do a flip on Christmas in July.  
I was considering that... I tend to crave citrus year round, so....

Or find a way to put pumpkin into it.  

Or bacon. 
Lol! If my kitchen were licensed for meat handling, this would be very tempting. 

3 hours ago, shain said:

Kaffir lime + cinnamon 

Kaffir lime + ginger + cardamon/cinnamon 

This was sort of the direction I was trying to work out. Since these leaves are used in a lot of S.E. Asian savory dishes, I was trying to come up with a pairing that honored that. But, at the same time, I have to work with the customer taste buds that we have in Wisconsin, so when I go a bit too crazy, they rebel and won't make the leap. 

Kafir lime + rum + mace/nutmeg 

Lime pate + white chocolate, maybe + mint 
This is lovely, too!

Lime pate + ginger + orange zest 

Lime pate + ginger + whiskey 

Edited by Sweet Impact Mama (log)
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...