• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Habib's Place

Pan

Some of you may know Habib from his previous place, which I believe was on 9th St. I didn't get a chance to go before it closed. He's on St. Mark's Place just west of Av. A now. I went for the first time today, with a friend. I don't think it's a place to ride 30 minutes on the train for, but I'm definitely glad it's in my neighborhood.

I started with Shorba, a vegetable soup including pieces of carrots, zucchini, and various other vegetables, with nice seasoning - just the right stuff for a cold night like tonight. I then ordered a merguez sandwich. Sure, it wasn't as good as Zaytoon's on Smith St., but their merguez was very nice and flavorful, and the whole thing was tasty and satisfying (though without those great pickled turnips we talked about in the chicken shawarma thread). I washed it down with some mint tea which was subtle and seemed to be toned down in sugar content, relative to other Arab teas I've had. For dessert, I had semoule. It was an excellent rendition, with a caramelized bottom.

The entire time we were there, excellent jazz recordings were playing, most appropriate since I was with the guitarist in my jazz trio and we had just had a rehearsal. Pictures of famous jazz musicians are on the walls, and Tony was identifying some of the artists I didn't recognize.

Here's the kicker: The entire dinner cost $11.95. I will be a regular at Habib's place until further notice.

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan, I had a different experience with Habib's Place. I didn't eat in , I ordered a meze platter to go. and my general opinion was that Rainbow falafel on l7th st was better. The falafel was nothing special,

as were the other ingredients that made up the platter. I certainly would not go out of my way for this

place, and I found the service to be lackluster and quite perfunctory. Also at $9.95 this was not a bargain and the portions were small.

If subsequent visits are disappointing, I will change my mind.

But Rainbow is at 17th and what?

Do you like any felafel place that's closer to where I live (7th St. between 1st and 2nd)?

Michael aka "Pan"

I tried the lamb couscous, which I found acceptable and a very large portion, considering the price of $12. However, the couscous were a bit too soft and the broth should have been richer and more aromatic. OK as a neighborhood restaurant with good price performance, nothing more. This restaurant has been seriously overpraised by Asimov.

If subsequent visits are disappointing, I will change my mind.

But Rainbow is at 17th and what?

Do you like any felafel place that's closer to where I live (7th St. between 1st and 2nd)?

Rainbow is on 17th just east of Union Square.

Pan, I assume you know Mamoun's, yes?