• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange Pizza Toppings

liuzhou

If I put weird things on pizza, I call it "flatbread", so that solves that problem😁.  Honestly, my favorite pizza is crust (with giant charred bubbles), a little sauce and a little cheese.  More than that and it starts to make me feel too full and that I've eaten a casserole.  

• Like 2

How about rice cakes & spicy marinated cod roe, all lovingly placed onto a generous amount of Mayonnaise sauce and topped with slivers of seaweed ?

1109636704_MochiMentaiko.PNG.23c4cb9d27d3caea138aca5a9427ee5b.PNG

From Pizza-La, Japan's original pizza chain.

https://www.pizza-la.co.jp/sc_EnglishMenu.aspx

I am flying out tonight to Tokyo. Maybe I should take one for the team ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

While i am not a massive pizza fan -- I don't dislike it, but there are many things I'd rather eat -- two stand out as the "best I ever had" in the category. 

One was at Papa's Tomato Pies in Trenton, NJ, which alleges itself to be the oldest family-run pizza joint in the country outside NYC. The pizza was thin, dough brushed with olive oil, topped with THIN slices of fresh tomato, grated parmigiano, dollops of fresh mozzarella, fresh basil leaves. It was heavenly. Three of us ate an 18-incher, and I contemplated ordering another.

The other was at Memphis Pizza cafe. Sausage, bacon, sauce, cheese. Bacon cut up in lardons and fried crisp. Sausage was breakfast sausage (sage, but not heavily so), browned. It was pretty damn fine. They make a good sauce; light hand with the spices, but they're good. Good cheese. Again, a thin crust.

Don't like Chicago style deep-dish pizzas. Don't want it so crisp it's like a cracker. I like traditional NY style crust.

On the other hand, I'm also real fond of flatbreads. My personal favorite to make at home, when fresh figs are in season, is fig, peach and ricotta, with balsatmic glaze drizzled over and a few basil leaves scattered about.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb, I can walk to Papa’s, it is less than a mile from my house. They left Trenton a couple of years ago. If you can believe it, Delorenzo’s, their chief rival (and slightly superior, if you can believe it) is about a 1/4 mile away from them. 

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

When I was in South Korea, they had potato and shrimp on a pizza with a sweet potato mousse crust. There's another with gorgonzola and condensed milk. Most of their pizzas tend to be on the sweet side? Kinda interesting but I'd prefer a more savoury flavor. 

• Like 1

I think of a pizza base as a blank canvas - there is plenty of room for all kinds of things to create. That being said, I don't get the Aussie Pizza with fried egg, ham and maybe pineapple +/- bbq sauce. Even putting fried egg and beetroot on a burger makes more sense to me.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

My local supermarket has taken to offering these frozen pizza slices. There are two varieties:

20180901_124342.thumb.jpg.57ef72686e6747e0b4fbe61c5275ae5e.jpg

Ingredients according to the box: Wheat flour, water, cheese, ham, luncheon meat, tomato sauce, vegetable oil, onion, green beans, red pepper, corn, table salt, white sugar, dry yeast, hydroxypropyl toluene starch, food flavor.

20180901_124411.thumb.jpg.f4aafd204f787e003ff9e30cbfdfe73c.jpg

Ingredients: Wheat flour, water, cheese, Caribbean beef (beef, vegetable oil, cinnamon), luncheon meat, tomato sauce, canned pineapple, vegetable oil, corn, white sugar, green pepper, red pepper, dry yeast, table salt, hydroxypropyl toluene starch, food flavor.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

I love the translation on that first one: "Pizza with meat fragrance". 

I love that they didn’t forget the “food flavor”😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'm sorry if this puts you off your food, but full disclosure is required. The same local supermarket, apart from selling frozen triangles, also makes "pizzas" in their in-store bakery. Two types. Sold by the quarter.

928173199_chpizzalarge.thumb.jpg.341be6bda8b1d380fa2c2be08d3c785e.jpg

On the left we have a red bell pepper and corn effort and, on the right, a pork floss (肉松 - ròu sōng ) pizza tragedy. There is also corn buried under the floss. There may be other ingredients, but if you think I'm going to taste it to find out, you are deluded!

I'm not even going to speculate what the "cheese" may be. The supermarket doesn't carry cheese. And the base is probably soggy sponge cake.

Masochists may click on the image to enlarge.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 10 months later...

I immediately thought of this thread when I found the menu of the local Hotel Louvre here in Madagascar.  

The lunch menu offers three types of pizza: Margarita, "Texane" - with ground beef and mushrooms- and a "Tandoori " one with tandoori chicken and pineapple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, fondue said:

"Texane" - with ground beef and mushrooms

I haven't tried that but I have to confess that I don't hate a pizza with ground beef (actual ground beef, not that pizza topping beef most places use) and lots of green onions. I wouldn't try to pass it off as a real pizza but it is tasty.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Perhaps 'strange' but I can assure you, extremely delicious...

Sauce for the pizza is baby zuccini, 1 baby potato, 3-4 spring garlics and some green onion, all sauteed slowly, then braised with a bit of water.

Zip it into a paste, add your best EVOO.

Top with sauteed Zuccini flowers (deglazed w White Wine), caramelized garlic and onions and a bit of good mozz.

Enjoy.