• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange Pizza Toppings

liuzhou

There is a guy here in town who is something of an entrepreneur. He introduced the first supermarket to the city some thirty years ago, built it into a local chain, added smaller convenience stores then sold the lot to China's largest retailer for zillions.

Since then, although ostensibly retired, he has kept one small fruit store, but opened a number of supposedly western restaurants. He opened a KFC clone before KFC arrived and has a generic "western" restaurant in the city centre. He also has an Italian restaurant in one of the most popular shopping malls. This he bills as being an "Italian Food Expert" joint.

The only problem is that he knows nothing about western food! Everything is Sinified to the point of being unrecognisable to either westerners or the local Chinese.

Recently he has opened a pizza place. Here is a sample of his offerings.

562328760_chickenpopcorn.thumb.jpg.41754b9ddb7dd105763ea408518e9765.jpg

Chicken popcorn pizza (The Chinese says "American Style")

2056075623_seaeelpizza.thumb.jpg.72ec85ee7a0ed30d35169c49dd274ba7.jpg

Top: Sea eel pizza (black base); Mussel pizza (black base)

Bottom: Strawberry Pizza; Sea eel pizza (regular base)

1911028787_blackpepperandaustralianribpizzas.thumb.jpg.4aa48a5718953c50b7d016b0ceb427f7.jpg

Black pepper beef pizza; Australian excellent beef short ribs pizza

876120596_regionalpizzas.thumb.jpg.7cfb26353a0931c6a0339b3a6325564c.jpg

L-R: Beijing duck pizza; Crayfish pizza; Thai's durian pizza

566753182_thaisdurianpizza.thumb.jpg.af04ac2e949508eb65420dabaff5bec2.jpg

They like the durian pizza so much it appears on the menu again.

329814633_fruitpizzas.thumb.jpg.b9b3edf32a881462b254b3c7bcdf0a0d.jpg

L-R: Strawberry pizza (again); Hawaii fruit pizza; Rurality* pizza

*Rurality pizza - I'd translate the Chinese as "Countryside scene pizza".

Any odd pizzas round your neck of the planet?

Edited by Smithy
Edited Title, then returned it to its original wording (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Technically the Hawaii Fruit Pizza at least is spot on. 

In our rural Queensland locale there are two cafes that make pizza, about 25 km apart from each other and some distance again from us. 

One offers A Hawaiian Pizza (Ham Cheese and Pineapple) and One offers a Capricciosa Pizza (Ham Cheese & Olives). 

At neither am I allowed to order just a Ham and Cheese Pizza. It has to be a Hawaiian without Pineapple or a Capricciosa without Olives. 

Woe betide you if you try and order Ham and Cheese - You will be told very bluntly that that option is not on the menu! And what really really makes my eye twitch, is that fact they're all (toppings at least) made to order soooo... 

Some offerings from a nation wide chain ( Pizza Capers) 

20180825_192129.thumb.jpg.1332d05fb641f1932b451a3b38371c70.jpg

20180825_192104.thumb.jpg.fdf39c3b7045f0d8d9b61eb733bffce3.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 4

Well, pineapple definitely doesn't belong on pizza* so I don't know if it's strange but it's certainly wrong... :P :D

*I will admit that a friend of mine made a pizza using bacon, fresh pineapple and fresh jalapenos that wasn't bad. There was enough salt and heat to tame the almost dessert-like sweetness that is the usual ham and pineapple pizza. Still not something I'd make or order for myself but I didn't hate eating it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

27 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Well, pineapple definitely doesn't belong on pizza* so I don't know if it's strange but it's certainly wrong...

If I ate pizza with pineapple or ham (or both *shudder*) I would not be allowed back in NY. NJ would make me wear an ankle bracelet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The Australian beef excellent short ribs pizza must take forever to get done. :raz:

(seriously, what is the purpose of the candle thing?)

So that you can see it? I have no idea and I certainly ain't ordering one to find out!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I can't imagine the warm/hot durian pizza...  I imagine you would be able to smell it from around the corner.

I have no idea why, but durian pizza is THE fashion thing here now. Just a couple of weeks ago, right outside my apartment block, one place opened which only sells durian pizza to go. The shop is called "Durian King" or something similar.

• Like 2

In NY/NJ it is not unusual to see pizza with baked ziti on top. Carb on carb. The ziti often will be tossed in blush sauce rather than straight red sauce before being put on top and baked.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

In NY/NJ it is not unusual to see pizza with baked ziti on top. Carb on carb. The ziti often will be tossed in blush sauce rather than straight red sauce before being put on top and baked.

We clearly move in different circles. *grin*

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

Am I the only one who thinks potato on a pizza is odd? 

Boston Pizza (despite it's name, it's Canadian-based) has a new one called Potato Bianca with:

Sliced mini white potatoes, caramelized onions, goat cheese, a drizzle of honey, pizza mozzarella, alfredo, garlic, sesame seeds and our blend of pizza spices.

They also have a Pierogy PIzza, which is embellished with:

Sour cream, bacon, Cactus Cut Potatoes, pizza mozzarella, cheddar, green onions and a dollop of sour cream.

I think Cactus Cut Potatoes are really just fried potatoes or French Fries, cut wide. It seems odd to me to put fried potatoes on a pizza. 

And I also don't like chicken on pizza, it just seems wrong. But then I LOVE Hawaiian pizza with ham and pineapple, so some of you will think I have no sense of taste, anyway. :raz:xD

For some reason that I can't quite figure, lots of folk around here like to dip their pizza in ranch dressing.

Doesn't make sense to me.  Pizza should taste like pizza.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have had a very simple white pizza with roasted garlic and potato slices, it was really good. It has been a couple of years so I don’t remember, but I think it was garnished with a sprinkle of fresh herb, I think maybe thyme.

First time I saw someone eating pizza with ranch dressing was in Indiana. I had to avert my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@Ann_T makes a wonderful looking pizza that has potatoes on it.  I think she calls it a Greek pizza?  Anyway, I've never tasted it, but it looks delicious and it was the first time I'd ever seen taters on pizza.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Pizza guys Ed Levine, Adam Kuban, and Scott Wiener discuss pizza toppingsin this podcat  https://www.seriouseats.com/features/special-sauce-podcast  There is some love for real v. canned pineapple and fatty v. deli ham involved.

Ha, listened to this and agree that fresh pineapple takes it up a notch, along with the right kind of ham. And at least one of them agreed with me that chicken on pizza is not that thrilling. :smile:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

@Ann_T makes a wonderful looking pizza that has potatoes on it.  I think she calls it a Greek pizza?  Anyway, I've never tasted it, but it looks delicious and it was the first time I'd ever seen taters on pizza.

Had to go off and find examples of this and yes, you are right, it does indeed look delicious. I wonder how the topping is done on her Greek Potato Pizza. @Ann_T, how do you prepare the potatoes? Looks like feta cheese and sometimes kalamata olives and/or sun-dried tomatoes as well? 

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155166-dinner-2017-part-6/?page=81&tab=comments#comment-2129128

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lindag said:

For some reason that I can't quite figure, lots of folk around here like to dip their pizza in ranch dressing.

Doesn't make sense to me.  Pizza should taste like pizza.

I first learned of this while buying pizza for a large group at a corporate event in 2004.  I get 20 pizzas delivered and the junior level employees started complaining that they couldn't eat their pizza without ranch dressing, which, of course, I did not order because I had no idea that any self-respecting pizza place would carry the stuff except as a salad dressing. I loathe the stuff because it's so bland and uncreative, and it was a sad, sad day when I learned that people were using it to suppress the flavors of good pizza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I recently ate at Moose's Tooth pizzeria and pub in Anchorage. At our waiter's recommendation (and because it sounded really weird) I had the Amazing ApricotBlackened Chicken, Cream Cheese, Apricot Sauce, Red Peppers, Carrot Threads, Green Onions, Cilantro, Mozzarella, Provolone. It was actually not all that interesting, flavor-wise, everything just sort of blended together into a suprisingly bland non-thing. You can see the rest of the menu here, most of their pizzas are on the strange side.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org