• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

When we first began visiting Mexico in 2006 I did my best to learn "food" words first.  Quite proudly one night in San Miguel de Allende I phoned in a pizza order, un grande con salchicha, correctly translating sausage.

Well......salchicha on a pizza in Mexico turned out to be hot dogs.  Not crisped up or blackened or grilled or even fried....just warmish thick rounds of sliced, cheap hot dogs.

FFWD 10+ years and nowadays most MXN pizza menus include topping listing for both salchicha and another for salchicha Italiano.  

All orders of pizza still come with ketchup packets 😝

gulfporter

gulfporter

When we first began visiting Mexico in 2006 I did my best to learn "food" words first.  Quite proudly one night in San Miguel de Allende I phoned in a pizza order, un grande con salchicha, correctly translating sausage.

Well......salchicha on a pizza in Mexico turned out to be hot dogs.  Not crisped up or blackened or grilled or even fried....just warmish thick rounds of sliced, cheap hot dogs.

FFWD 10+ years and nowadays most MXN pizza menus include topping listing for both salchicha and another for salchicha Italia.  

All orders of pizza still come with ketchup packets 😝