• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking cheese

gfweb

I know that many, many people like apple wood-smoked stuff, especially bacon. I don't. I prefer hickory.

I have also tried smoking stuff with mesquite, and I don't like that either. I did try cooking chicken over mesquite chunk coals, and that was great. @Smithyturned me on to the mesquite cooked food, I just do not care for it as a smoking agent. So it can be a personal preference. It's also difficult to infuse cheese with smoke without melting it unless you have a sophisticated and expensive setup. I do love smoked cheese, though.

HaHa, and I still smoke too, but I don't want my food to taste like that. Hickory for the win!

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Cheese needs some time after smoking to be at it's best. I vacuum pack it and toss it in the fridge for a week or two, sometimes even longer than that if I can make myself be patient. It doesn't seem to be as harsh straight out of the smoker with my Bradley using the pucks as it is when I've done it with wood burning smokers but it benefits from some time either way.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

14 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Cheese needs some time after smoking to be at it's best. I vacuum pack it and toss it in the fridge for a week or two, sometimes even longer than that if I can make myself be patient. It doesn't seem to be as harsh straight out of the smoker with my Bradley using the pucks as it is when I've done it with wood burning smokers but it benefits from some time either way.

Just as you said, its much better just a day later !

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

OK, I know this is not really smoking, but I have had some good success with just smoking thinly sliced cheese under a glass dome and allowing it to sit a few minutes.  Applewood seems to work best for cheese.  I have found the hickory and mesquite a little overpowering.  Admittedly it is more for show, but when you open the dome at the table and a waft of smoke pours out, it always brings a smile, and occasionally a cough from our guests. 😋

image.thumb.png.de32a15812055c5983949a462b23d750.png

• Like 3