• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I am coming to this discussion late for the electric coil discussion but as a potter I am skeptical that an electric coil stove would be OK for a clay pot.  I have experienced clay and old time Pyrex breakage on electric coil stoves.  I presume that they don't work on an electric coil stove because the coil heats the bottom most directly and thermal expansion of that one area is what causes it to break.   I have not had that problem with Gas and flat top electric stoves.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I am coming to this discussion late for the electric coil discussion but as a potter I am skeptical that an electric coil stove would be OK for a clay pot.  Old time Pyrex and stoneware clay don't work on an electric coil stove because the coil heats the bottom only and thermal expansion of that one area is what causes it to break.  Gas and flat top electric stoves work because they aren't in direct contact with the bottom of the vessel and allow heat to more evenly apply over  a larger area.