• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tikidoc

Making colored cocoa butter

There has been a lot of talk lately on the forum regarding using home made colored cocoa butter. I’d love to learn how to do this, preferably with basic materials available on Amazon and other websites. I’d like for this to be another “share your experience” thread, so feel free to discuss the “flowers” designed for this use, but I personally would rather start with less expensive options. What products do you use? How much do you add to the cocoa butter? Do you strain it, and if so, how? I’m thinking I would try the pantyhose idea since I have a clue unopened packages of them in a drawer somewhere, and they (happily to me) seem to have gone out of style. 

I have done a few google searches, with very little success. It appears there may be some info on YouTube, but I have painfully slow internet at home, limiting streaming (we live in the country).

I do it like this;

100 grams of cocoa butter

10 grams of color (if I want it to be opaque, which I want, I take maybe 8 grams of green and 2 grams of white)

Melt cocoa butter, add sifted color. Mix with bamix. Done. One would probably argue that you should strain it, but I haven't seen any issues with not doing it.

Where do you find metallic colors? Which powders are everyone using?

@tikidoc I haven't checked their catalog, but maybe you can get the powdered colors from Albert Uster...?

15 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I have not used them, but was recently shopping at chocolat-chocolat and noticed they carry fat soluble colors.  For those in Canada or who want to comparison shop vs chef rubber. 

http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/c210060/c378157873/c378157875/index.html

Well priced too I'd say for the 50 gram size. 

• Like 1

This s a most informative thread. Thank you tikidoc, and all contributing members. I'm off to search for materials to begin my colouring-cocoa-butter journey...

Philip

• Like 1

I'm only 3/4 convinced I even want to mess with colors to any great extent, I don't think adding the additional task of making the colors myself would be conducive to pushing through the laziness barrier that is the remaining 1/4. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm only 3/4 convinced I even want to mess with colors to any great extent, I don't think adding the additional task of making the colors myself would be conducive to pushing through the laziness barrier that is the remaining 1/4. :D

Even though I mixed some colors in the Dubovik course, it is not something I long to do as a regular thing. It's too messy, especially if the cocoa butter needs to be strained. I also found that arriving at the right amount of colorant for translucent colors is (for me) a matter of guessing because if you spread colored cocoa butter thinly enough, it all looks more or less translucent. So I take the easy way out (not typically what I do, but sometimes we all have to be practical) and use Chef Rubber already-mixed colored cocoa butter, and if I really want translucent, I add some plain cocoa butter to the CR product to thin it out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Even though I mixed some colors in the Dubovik course, it is not something I long to do as a regular thing. It's too messy, especially if the cocoa butter needs to be strained. I also found that arriving at the right amount of colorant for translucent colors is (for me) a matter of guessing because if you spread colored cocoa butter thinly enough, it all looks more or less translucent. So I take the easy way out (not typically what I do, but sometimes we all have to be practical) and use Chef Rubber already-mixed colored cocoa butter, and if I really want translucent, I add some plain cocoa butter to the CR product to thin it out. 

I have plenty of colors and even use them but that doesn't stop me from occasionally thinking "it might be kinda nice to not have to". I realize, of course, that there's nothing actually saying I have to... but you see all of this really nice work people are doing and it's hard to fully accept having a box of plain chocolates while constantly saying "but the flavors are really nice!" :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:

I have plenty of colors and even use them but that doesn't stop me from occasionally thinking "it might be kinda nice to not have to". I realize, of course, that there's nothing actually saying I have to... but you see all of this really nice work people are doing and it's hard to fully accept having a box of plain chocolates while constantly saying "but the flavors are really nice!" :D

I know exactly what you mean. When my sister has brought me boxes of chocolates from her European trips, there is scarcely a decoration on any of them (beyond the most basic), and the makers of those chocolates have done fine for at least a few years as chocolatiers!  But we are stuck with where we are, and with people's expectations. I live in a small city where many people had never seen chocolates decorated with cocoa butter (maybe a transfer sheet from time to time), but now that they have seen the possibilities.... I myself do not like the taste of cocoa butter, and I can certainly taste it on most of what I make. But not a single person has ever mentioned that taste (even people who are not my friends and can be blunt about mentioning other things they don't like). I have read that Norman Love is the first chocolatier who used colored cocoa butter. If so, curses on you, Norman Love.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Haha. Yeah, when I visited Antwerpen a year or so ago, I couldn't see a single trace of colors. I remember some Instagram person writing about that we shouldn't care too much about the colors and look at Europe how it's handled. Yet, he continues with his colors. 😂