• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convection ovens: Do they cause breathing problems?

techniker

Hi

I tried one 14 years ago, and it seemed as if it produced particles that I breathed, and so caused me shortness of breath. I do not know if this happens to everyone, or if ovens have become better so they do not cause this anymore.

Any experiences?

Thanks a lot

I’ve never had a problem. 

If you’re baking something such as bread with a heavy dusting of flour then the fan will blow some of those particles around.  Or if you never clean it you may get some dark bits floating around. 

• Like 1

I haven't had problems, and I and super-sensitive to particles in the air. Sometimes if the pollution levels are really high I have to stay home and avoid exercise. That said, all the convection ovens I have used have been in commercial kitchens and had their vents in the back. And, the ovens were located on the same wall as the cooktops, underneath the giant industrial hood. So, I am guessing that anything which did escape the oven was pulled out of the kitchen by the hood.

• Like 2

The Cuisinart Steam Oven is so tightly sealed that steam doesn't escape the oven unless it's intentionally vented. So even if a standard CO tightens you up, the CSO should be ok

• Like 3

11 hours ago, techniker said:

I tried one 14 years ago, and it seemed as if it produced particles that I breathed, and so caused me shortness of breath. I do not know if this happens to everyone, or if ovens have become better so they do not cause this anymore.

Any experiences?

A convection oven should not exhaust anything. The whole point is to circulate heated air to avoid thermal gradients. If there are particles coming out there is a problem, probably with a seal.

If the issue is a puff of particles when you open the door the answer is easy: turn the convection fan off a few minutes before you open the door to give airborne particles a chance to settle.

Oh - clean the oven regularly, starting with a vacuum cleaner before applying chemicals or other liquids.

• Like 1

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

Welcome to EGullet, interesting 1st post.   Seems very suspect - convection ovens are not new, it's just a fan that circulates the air more then it does without a fan (just natural heat flows)

• Like 2