• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2019

teonzo

45 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I have Oaxaca al Guesto by Diane Kennedy, a beautiful book.  Telling myself that I don't need another but in my heart of hearts I know I really do.  Mexican cookbooks are my downfall and I see no hope to change any time soon.  I use them more for inspiration than actual cooking from them. I still have a very old copy of Sunset Mexican Cooking that started my long trip down the conejo hole😉

I have Oaxaca al Gusto also.  It is indeed beautiful but the index is by region, of which there are many) and within that by the Spanish name of the dish.  No index by ingredient or recipe type.  Eat Your Books can help a little there but it was indexed at a time when they were not including page numbers so it's still a treasure hunt to find recipes even when you know the name and ingredients.  And, of course, it calls for many hyper local ingredients, though some are more widely available than when the book was published.  I should volunteer to add the page numbers to the Eat Your Books indexing of the book - I started some discussion with them about that but never too the next step. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I have Oaxaca al Guesto by Diane Kennedy, a beautiful book.  Telling myself that I don't need another but in my heart of hearts I know I really do.  Mexican cookbooks are my downfall and I see no hope to change any time soon.  I use them more for inspiration than actual cooking from them. I still have a very old copy of Sunset Mexican Cooking that started my long trip down the conejo hole😉

That is a beautifl book. We almost had her here for a Q & A via Rancho Gordo but there was an unrelated pubicity mess and she backed out. We were sad. 

• Like 2

I have always thought of it has my ultimate coffee table book so that lack of normal index hasn't bothered me.  Easy to see why real users would love to have it done though.

I remember when RG was working to have her visit.  She is one of those women who amaze me with their unflagging energy.  Kind of an RBG of the food world.  We need lots more like them.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 10:18 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Somehow missed this when it was originally posted. Certainly looks very taste worthy? I’ve been reading a few reviews and looking at a couple of recipes and wondered if anybody else had a chance to dive into this book and make any of the recipes.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's one I think I will have to try when it comes out.

I love soul food restaurants. I have never had a sweet potato pie fit to eat outside a soul food restaurant. Never seen backbone and dressing outside a soul food place, but for my mother's kitchen. Never had neckbones and rice outside a soul food restaurant.

Now, the chitlins, I can leave alone.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

56 minutes ago, kayb said:

I love soul food restaurants. I have never had a sweet potato pie fit to eat outside a soul food restaurant. Never seen backbone and dressing outside a soul food place, but for my mother's kitchen. Never had neckbones and rice outside a soul food restaurant.

I thought the re-print came out Feb 2017. There are used copies on Amazon also as well as new. I remmber the press when it was released. What a story!

Edited by heidih (log)

10 hours ago, kayb said:

Princess Pamela sounds awesome. You can make a good sweet potato pie yourself. I've made a couple of them in the past few years. Really good. My preference is to use no spices, so it really tastes like the yams it is made from rather than like a wannabe pumpkin pie. The best prep for the yams is to roast them, not boil them. Also if any recipe calls for corn syrup (and I think I've seen some that do) use Steen's instead for better flavor and less sweetness. If memory serves, the recipe I used didn't use either, just sugar. 

Before I baked my first sweet potato pie I didn't realize that when a recipe calls for them it is a 99 percent chance that they mean what are often labeled as yams; the ones that are orange inside. Sweet potatoes are white, and surprise surprise, actually not as sweet as yams. A true yam is something else entirely. This labeling problem has always irritated me no end. I did bake a pie that used sweet potatoes and yams. I liked it, but it tastes more earthy.

I can get behind pork neck bones and rice in a hot minute. I often add neck bones to stock, and the meat that falls off them is really good. 

One of the big Kroger disount stores catered to the black community and always had the SP (yes orange yam) for sale. The kids preferred it to pumpkin. Maybe $5 for a 99" pie. Their preferred sweet snack. I left it on the table and they self-served. 

Edited by heidih (log)

16 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Princess Pamela sounds awesome. You can make a good sweet potato pie yourself. I've made a couple of them in the past few years. Really good. My preference is to use no spices, so it really tastes like the yams it is made from rather than like a wannabe pumpkin pie. The best prep for the yams is to roast them, not boil them. Also if any recipe calls for corn syrup (and I think I've seen some that do) use Steen's instead for better flavor and less sweetness. If memory serves, the recipe I used didn't use either, just sugar. 

Before I baked my first sweet potato pie I didn't realize that when a recipe calls for them it is a 99 percent chance that they mean what are often labeled as yams; the ones that are orange inside. Sweet potatoes are white, and surprise surprise, actually not as sweet as yams. A true yam is something else entirely. This labeling problem has always irritated me no end. I did bake a pie that used sweet potatoes and yams. I liked it, but it tastes more earthy.

I can get behind pork neck bones and rice in a hot minute. I often add neck bones to stock, and the meat that falls off them is really good. 

Down here, the canonical sweet potato (yes, yam) pie has nutmeg. Not necessarily any other spice. I'm not sure if they use corn syrup or sugar.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 11/26/2019 at 7:44 AM, heidih said:

One of the big Kroger disount stores catered to the black community and always had the SP (yes orange yam) for sale. The kids preferred it to pumpkin. Maybe $5 for a 99" pie. Their preferred sweet snack. I left it on the table and they self-served. 

Late on catching this, and I know it was a typo, but, just imagine a 99” pie, much less for $5! :shock:🤣

5 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Late on catching this, and I know it was a typo, but, just imagine a 99” pie, much less for $5! :shock:🤣

Yes fumble fingers though you do see those ginormous pizzas and such on the internet :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1