• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2019

teonzo

Not 2019 cookbooks, but I recently found a trove of cheap, used cookbooks on eBay. To date, Julia Child's Secrets in the Kitchen, Beard on Bread, Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry, and the Best American Recipes, curated by Anthony Bourdain, have arrived. I think there are two more coming, not that I can recall what they are. The whole lot was less than $20, shipping included.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...

Some other professional releases scheduled for next year:

Nobuyuki Matsuhisa - "World of Nobu"

mixed feelings about this

Richard Bertinet - "Crumb: Show the dough who's boss"

last years we've been overloaded with bread books, so I'll pass even if he is a good author

Asaert + Declercq - "Roger & I: 42 chefs talk about their mentor Roger Souvereyns"

Souvereyns made the history of fine dining in Belgium, I don't know what to expect from this book format

Nathan Outlaw - "Restaurant Nathan Outlaw"

English restaurant with 2 michelin stars, I wasn't that impressed with his previous books, but I'm curious about this one

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

• 3 months later...

More stuff for the next year:

Redzepi René - A Work in Progress: A Journal

I have ho idea if this is a reissue or whatever.

Takahashi + Yoda - Wagashi: The Art of Japanese Confectionery

Finally this book gets an English translation, I'm happy cause I'm a wagashi fan.

Marcolini + Verlinden + Bibaut - Belgian Chocolate: The Bean-to-Bar Generation

Panoramic on the Belgian bean to bar scene, with interviews and recipes.

Darroze Hélène - Joia

From what I understand this book is based on Joia, the new Paris restaurant by Darroze which opened just few weeks ago. Seems way to soon to release a book, unless it talks only about the behind the scenes on opening it.

Aduriz Andoni Luis - Mugaritz. Puntos de fuga
This seems to be a treatise on creativity.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Other stuff (this 2019 seems slower than the previous years):

Humm + Guidara - "Eleven Madison Park: The Next Chapter, Revised and Unlimited Edition"
This is the revised edition of the second EMP cookbook. It's not clear if there is missing content, if there is added content or whatever if compared with the limited edition. I hope they take the Blumenthal road (same content, more basic package), but judging from the number of pages this does not seem the case.

Michot Alexandra - "L' Esprit Chapel"
A book about Alain Chapel and his restaurant, with recipes and stories by customers, people from his staff and so on.

Bruneau + Chatal + Python - "La coupe du monde de la pâtisserie"
A comic book / manga that tells the story of a (fictional?) team competing for the Coupe du monde de la pâtisserie in Lyon.

Röllich + Carreño - "Bar Chef: Handcrafted Cocktails"
Creative cocktails by a Los Angeles bartender.

Bombana Umberto - "8 1/2 An Italian Chef in Asia"
The only Italian chef with 3 michelin stars outside of Italy. His style is pretty classic, lots of truffles everywhere.

Robicelli Allison - "WWE: The Official Cookbook"
After this we just miss a Woody Woodpecker cookbook. I couldn't come with a WWE joke for Woody Woodpecker E__________, sorry.

Glacier Stéphane - "Tartes et Gâteaux de voyage, pâtisserie boulangère"
New book by this MOF, to be honest I'm not that excited, it does not seem to be on par with his best books. Price is way too high for the number of pages.

Guichon Amaury -"The art of flavor"
First book by this young pastry chef, king of social media like Grolet. I'm becoming a bit bored by this kind of books. Lot of aesthetic research, tons of silicone molds, after that nothing new.

Teo

Teo

• 1 month later...

Picked up World of Nobu and was a bit surprised there are no measurements for anything.  I guess it encourages mixing sauces etc until they please you, but I do find the book a bit strange and not sure it's worth the purchase if you have the previous books.    It is beautiful though.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:12 PM, Twyst said:

Picked up World of Nobu and was a bit surprised there are no measurements for anything.  I guess it encourages mixing sauces etc until they please you, but I do find the book a bit strange and not sure it's worth the purchase if you have the previous books.    It is beautiful though.

Can you spend some more words on this book please? Thanks!

Teo

Teo

• 3 months later...

Some more books for this year, some are already out, others will be published in the next months:

Ahmed + DuVal + Meyer - "Botany at the Bar: The Art and Science of Making Bitters"

Three scientists explain how to make bitters for cocktails.

Alexander Kevin - "Burn the Ice: The American Culinary Revolution and Its End"

Story of the "food revolution" in the USA from 2006 onwards (the explosion of top class restaurants and producers scattered all over the country and not just in the big cities).

Belleret Robert - "Paul Bocuse : L'épopée d'un chef"

Biography of Bocuse, only in French.

Bonnat Stéphane - "Chocolat"

One of the big names of French bean to bar, he is said to be the creator of the grand cru chocolates. Book is in French and costs 120 euro, no infos on what's inside, probably tons of photos on his journeys in cocoa producing countries.

Bouthillier Luzin - "Les Plats de Chefs Qu'Il Faut Avoir Goutes une Fois Dans Sa Vie - 50 Chefs, 50 Plats, 50 Emotions"

Few infos here, seems to be a book on 50 historic dishes by top chefs. Book is in French so probably all chefs will be French too.

Chang Joanne - "Pastry Love: A Baker's Journal of Favorite Recipes"

New book after the Flour ones.

Charles Jeremy - "Wildness: An Ode to Newfoundland and Labrador"

Seems to be the best restaurant in Newfoundland, @chromedome should be able to give more infos.

Child Julia - "Julia Child: The Last Interview and Other Conversations"

Title says all.

Elmi + Erace - "Laurel: Modern American Flavors in Philadelphia"

Top restaurant in Philadelphia, the cover is gorgeous.

Erfort Klaus - "Drei Sterne"

3 michelin star restaurant from Germany, book is only in German language.

Farah Berry - "Histoire inédite des pâtisseries françaises: Tout ce que vous avez cru savoir de la pâtisserie n'est que légende"

History of French pastry, only in French.

Farkas Cécile - "Chocolate Signature"

Modern entremets and chocolates, she is an online star in France, book is in French and English.

Flynn Tenney - "The Deep End of Flavor: Recipes and Stories from New Orleans Premier Seafood Chef"

Title says all.

Frank Sebastian - "Kuk [Cook]"

2 michelin star restaurant from Germany, book is only in German language.

Gordinier Jeff - "Hungry: Eating, Road-Tripping, and Risking It All with the Greatest Chef in the World"

A food critic chronicles four years spent traveling with René Redzepi (of Noma fame).

Haasnoot Frank - "Prisma"

First book by this Dutch pastry chef who won the World Chocolate Masters some years ago. Highly creative and over the top.

Henderson Fergus - "The Book of St John: Still a kind of British cooking"

New book by the nose to tail master, not many infos on the content.

Horowitz Will - "Salt Smoke Time: Homesteading and Heritage Techniques for the Modern Kitchen"

New York restaurant, focused on creative dishes with foraged ingredients.

Janjgava Saba - "The king of eclairs"

Russian disciple of Christophe Adam ("disciple" is being diplomatic), book only in Russian language.

Jones + Lindsley - "Cheese Beer Wine Cider: A Field Guide to 75 Perfect Pairings"

Title says all.

Kanani Rahim - "A Wealth of Insight: The World's Best Chefs on Creativity, Leadership and Perfection"

Title says all.

Kienberger Urs - "111 Years of Waldhaus Sils"

History of this luxury hotel in Switzerland.

Köthe + Ollech - "Das große Gemüsekochbuch: Rezepte aus dem Essigbrätlein"

2 michelin star restaurant from Germany, book is only in German language.

Krenzer + Toinard - "La Charcuterie - 60 Produits, 130 Recettes"

No details at this moment, just that it's only in French and on charcuterie.

Ladurée - "Cocktail By Ladurée"

Title says all.

Leader + Chattman - "Living Bread: Tradition and Innovation in Artisan Bread Making"

New bread book by these authors.

Lee  Matt + Ted - "Hotbox: Inside Catering, the Food World's Riskiest Business"

Insider guide for the catering business, lots of great comments.

Leonti + Parla - "Flour Lab: An At-home Guide to Baking With Freshly Milled Grains"

Title says all, seems to be the book @Shelby is looking for.

Lignac Cyril - "Les saisons ! : La cuisine de Cyril Lignac"

Not many infos, seems to be a collection of savoury recipes by this French pastry chef.

MacDonald Rory - "Bake"

New York pastry chef, book with basic recipes and modern interpretations.

Malek Tyler - "Salt & Straw Ice Cream Cookbook"

USA ice cream shop, recipes for the home user.

Manzke Margarita - "Baking at République: Masterful Techniques and Recipes"

Title says all.

Masiá Mario - "Mas: Artisan Toppings and Marble Decoration for Ice Cream"

Title is pretty clear, he is a Spanish pastry chef and the book is for the professionals.

Matsune Kaz - "How I Became A Sushi Chef: From an apprentice to a teacher"

This happens in Los Angeles, not in Japan.

Moffett Bruce - "Bruce Moffett Cooks: A New England Chef in a New South Kitchen"

Title says all.

Onwuachi Kwame - "Notes from a Young Black Chef: A Memoir"

Title says all.

Pelé + Masui - "Christophe Pelé, le Clarence - le Livre de Cuisine"

2 michelin star restaurant in Paris, book seems to be only in French. It's considered one of the most interesting tables in all Paris at this moment. Here is a review by our own @Bu Pun Su.

Penkina Ksenia - "Cakes with Mirror Glaze"

She is the queen of mirror glazes on Instagram. Book is only in Russian.

Perez Toño - "Atrio"

2 michelin star restaurant from Spain, book is bilingual French and English as usual for Montagud Editores.

Poilâne Apollonia - "Poilâne: The Secrets of the World-Famous Bread Bakery"

Title says all.

Prueitt + Robertson - "Tartine: Revised Edition: A Classic Revisited: 68 All-New Recipes + 55 Updated Favorites"

Title says all.

Radfar Bernard - "Chicken Genius: The Art of Toshi Sakamaki's Yakitori Cuisine"

Book on a famous yakitori spot in Los Angeles.

Reichl Ruth - "Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir"

Title says all.

Reygadas Elena - "Rosetta"

Mexican restaurant, in the World top 50 Latin America.

Ricker Andy - "POK POK Noodles: Recipes from Thailand and Beyond"

Title says all.

Roth Peter - "Kronenhalle Bar: Cocktailbuch"

Historic cocktail bar in Zurich, Switzerland. Book only in German.

Shirk Beth - "How To Create Your Own Panoramic Sugar Easter Eggs: The Ultimate Guide to Sweetness"

Title says all.

Shockey Kirsten + Christopher - "Miso, Tempeh, Natto & Other Tasty Ferments"

Title says all.

Teffri-Chambelland Thomas - "Traité de boulangerie au levain"

Book on sourdough bread, French language. Published by Ducasse Editions, so it should be quality stuff.

The Foodpairing Company - "The Art & Science of Foodpairing"

Book by Foodpairing.com.

Tish Ben - "Glorious Game: Recipes from 101 chefs and food writers"

Title says almost all, expect it's from people in Great Britain.

Travers Kitty - "La Grotta: Ice Creams and Sorbets"

Ice cream shop in London, England.

Teo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Teo

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More books for this year. As usual there is a big load of fall releases from France.

Alfonsi + Cayeux + L'Hourre + Mariani - "Cuisine des Chefs"
Recipes by 4 chefs from Corsica.

Arzak Juan Mari + Elena - "Arzak + Arzak"
Story of their restaurant with recipes from various years.

Ballarin + Etchebest - "Pays Basque"
No infos on the content, only that it's on Ducasse Editions.

Banctel Jérôme - "Jérôme Banctel : La Réserve Paris"
French restaurant with 2 michelin stars.

Barbier Jacques - "Auguste Colombié, cuisinier et écrivain culinaire (1845-1920)"
Biography of this French chef and professor.

Brys Yann - "Tourbillon"
No infos on this new book by Brys, young French pastry talent who is already a MOF. I'm betting there will be pastries decorated with the "tourbillon" technique he invented.

Charial Jean-André - "Signature Jean-André Charial, l'esprit Baumanière"
New book on the French restaurant L'Oustau de Baumanière, one of the historic 3 michelin stars of the past century, now with 2 stars.

Couvreur Yann - "Ephémère : Les desserts à l'assiette de Yann Couvreur"
Plated desserts by this young French talent.

De Pooter Bart - "Biotope: Pastorale"
Belgian restaurant with 2 michelin stars.

École Ferrandi Paris - "Chocolat"
Title says all.

Felder Christophe - "Patisserie Collector - Numero 3"
No infos on the content.

Felder + Lesecq - "Ma petite pâtisserie"
Should be playful recipes of pastry classics.

Gauthier Alexandre - "Alexandre Gauthier, Cuisinier"
Restaurant La Grenouillère, 2 michelin stars in France, his second book.

Girardet + Giovannini + Bovier - "Partage"
Recipes for home cooking by these Swiss chefs with michelin stars.

Goetz Gérard - "Alsace: Un paysage gastronomique"
No idea if this is a book on Alsace (the region) or on the restaurant owned by the author.

Grolet Cedric - "Opéra"
New book by Grolet, again on Ducasse Editions, no infos on the content.

Kobayashi Kei - "Kei 2"
Second book by this Japanese chef working in Paris, it was scheduled for last year. His restaurant now has 2 michelin stars.

Langholtz + Kinsel - "A place at the table"
Recipes from 40 top chefs working in the USA but of foreign origin (Dominque Crenn, Marcus Samuelsson...).

Le Quellec Stéphanie - "Pour ceux que j'aime"
Recipes for home cooking by this French chef with 2 michelin stars.

Lignac Cyril - "Saisons"
Savoury recipes by this pastry chef.

Niland Josh - "The Whole Fish Cookbook: New Ways to Cook, Eat and Think"
Australian chef talking on how to use all parts of all fish (mouth to fin?).

Orieux Gaël - "Cuisiner la terre - 100 produits et 70 recettes"
Paris restaurant with 1 michelin star, second book after "Cuisiner la mer. 70 espèces et 90 recettes".

Perret François - "Instants sucrés au Ritz Paris"
Pastries from the Hotel Ritz in Paris.

Roca + Medina - "Casa Cacao"
Chocolate explorations by Jordi Roca.

Tiernan Lee - "Black Axe Mangal"
London hip restaurant, published by Phaidon.

Torosyan Karen - "Secrets et techniques d'un cuisinier orfèvre"
Bozar Restaurant in Bruxelles (Belgium), 1 michelin star.

Van Damme Roger - "Dessert"
Belgian dessert restaurant with 1 michelin star, finally a book in English language after a bunch in Dutch.

VV AA - "Restaurants historiques de Paris"
Title says all.

Zancanaro Frédéric - "La créativité culinaire: Les trois étoiles du guide Michelin"
This one talks about creativity in French restaurants with 3 michelin stars in the last 40 years.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

• 1 month later...

'Tis the season for holiday cookbook lists.  Here's The 10 cookbooks you’ll want to give — and get — this holiday season from the LA Times. 

For those who don't have access to the website, here's the list:

Fuchsia Dunlop's updated version of “Land of Plenty,” titled "The Food of Sichuan."

"American Sfoglino: A Master Class in Handmade Pasta,” by Evan Funke and co-author Katie Parla

Sababa: Fresh, Sunny Flavors from My Israeli Kitchen,” by Adeena Sussman, who co-authored Chrissy Tiegan's cookbooks, among quite a few others.  

Josef Centeno’s “Amá: A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen.”  Like his first book, "Bäco", this is co-written with his wife and former Los Angeles Times deputy food editor Betty Hallock

Raquel Pelzel’s “Umami Bomb: 75 Vegetarian Recipes that Explode with Flavor.”

Lasagna: A Baked Pasta Cookbook” by Anna Hezel and the editors of Taste
"Oaxaca: The Food of the Region, and of LAs legendary restaurant Guelaguetza" by Bricia Lopez, who grew up in and currently co-owns the restaurant founded by her parents  and co-author Javier Cabral

Sonoko Sakai’s “Japanese Home Cooking: Simple Meals, Authentic Flavors.”  From what I can tell, her first book was "The Poetical Pursuit Of Food: Japanese Recipes for American Cooks," published in 1986 under the name Sonoko Kondo.

Alpine Cooking: Recipes and Stories From Europe’s Grand Mountaintops” by Meredith Erickson

Canal House: Cook Something — Recipes to Rely On” by Christopher Hirshheimer and Melissa Hamilton 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Might not be able to resist the Japanese book although $32+ price tag for the Kindle version might discourage me!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Might not be able to resist the Japanese book although $32+ price tag for the Kindle version might discourage me!

Can you get the Kindle version from your library?  I just placed a hold on the print version of Japanese Home Cooking and am second in the queue.  Unfortunately for me it looks like one I might buy anyhow.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Anna N  Ed Levine is interviewing the authors of Gaijin - Ivan Orkin and Chris Ying on Serious Eats. You  might want to get a prevew about content. Part 2 will be the book discussion. They are quite interesting. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Unfortunately for me it looks like one I might buy anyhow.

Yeah.  Somehow libraries and cookbooks don’t mesh well in my world. You read a novel you’re done with it. You read a cookbook and that’s just the beginning. 😁  but thank you for the thought. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Yeah.  Somehow libraries and cookbooks don’t mesh well in my world. You read a novel you’re done with it. You read a cookbook and that’s just the beginning. 😁  but thank you for the thought. 

But not every cookbook I get from the library I want to own.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I have had Ama, a modern Tex-Mex cookbook on my Amazon wish list since the day I heard about it.

I bought Amá, too, but haven't delved into it yet.  Bäco always makes me want to cook, even I don't exactly use his recipes.  I'm hoping Amá will be the same. 

From that list, I also have American Sfoglino, which I expected to be mostly aspirational but I might actually use and Oaxaca, which I bought after hearing an interview with the authors on Good Food.

Too. Many. Cookbooks. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have Oaxaca al Guesto by Diane Kennedy, a beautiful book.  Telling myself that I don't need another but in my heart of hearts I know I really do.  Mexican cookbooks are my downfall and I see no hope to change any time soon.  I use them more for inspiration than actual cooking from them. I still have a very old copy of Sunset Mexican Cooking that started my long trip down the conejo hole😉

• Like 2