Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamal12

Does anyone know where I can find this mold

Recommended Posts

I have had this mold for while now I think some one gave it to me I can't remember how I got it.  Does any one know where I can find this.  It is a softish plastic. This is very nice for making 🍫 chocolate for friends and even for home. 

IMG_20180817_215112.jpg

IMG_20180817_215054.jpg

 


Edited by Jamal12 (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jamal12 said:

I have had this mold for while now I think some one gave it to me I can't remember how I got it.  Does any one know where I can find this.  It is a softish plastic. This is very nice for making 🍫 chocolate for friends and even for home. 

IMG_20180817_215112.jpg

IMG_20180817_215054.jpg

 

 

Are there any markings on the mold?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After I posted this my son was able to read IKEA on the mold.  Guess I need to wear my glasses more often

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, minas6907 said:

Ikea has polycarbonate molds?

I wonder if it’s silicone - he mentioned softish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I wonder if it’s silicone - he mentioned softish.

No it is plastic. When I said softish I was trying to say not as hard as the polycarbonate. It is soft a bit like the inside of a chocolate box. The  plastic part but harder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rajala said:

Ice cube tray?

No rajala we can see the design is actually a chocolate mold. I can't remember buying it may be my daughter bought it and gave to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about those exact ones (although it sounds like IKEA) but you can get those super cheap molds from most cake supply shops.

They're ok for solid chocolates but close to useless for filled stuff when compared to polycarbonate imho.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use them for solid and filled. I could not find these in any other shop that is why I was wondering where they came from even online I haven't seen them. Until my son pointed out it was IKEA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most websites I've seen that sell chocolate molds tend to carry the non-polycarbonate plastic molds in addition to the polycarbonate. Some places carry them in two different grades, professional and hobbyist. As far as that specific design goes, I have no idea. I'd be happy to help if I just happened to know the answer but I don't want to sift through hundreds of plastic molds on 20 different sites to see if I can find it... but you could. Or you could email a picture of it to Ikea customer service and see if they can help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like what you're doing there but you can definitely see a difference in the finish between the thin plastic moulds and a hard polished polycarbonate mould.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This mold is useful like when friends at work have been asking for chocolate treats.  They love my chocolates. They are not that bothered with the shiny finish for them that is a bonus. They love the taste of my chocllates. So these molds help on this case. They finished the whole lot the other days 2 molds worth 4 friends. So yes the polycarbonate is great but these ones come very handy too. Like on Wednesday night we have a dinner a firned is organising. These and the polycarbonate and the silicone mold will be handy. I have prepared 2 polycarbonate molds with masking tape I need to air brush. We will see how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jamal12 said:

Thanks for that we have IKEA not that far away I can may be pop in an get it. 

 

Pretty sure it was from 2016, from what I could find. It’s not in their current catalog, which is why I checked eBay. I didn’t find any chocolate molds at all on the current ikea site.

 

Also, if you search this forum, you can find links to a number of websites selling molds (polycarbonate) that are likely much higher quality, which will last about forever if you take care of them. Many of these sites have literally hundreds of different molds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

 

Pretty sure it was from 2016, from what I could find. It’s not in their current catalog, which is why I checked eBay. I didn’t find any chocolate molds at all on the current ikea site.

 

Also, if you search this forum, you can find links to a number of websites selling molds (polycarbonate) that are likely much higher quality, which will last about forever if you take care of them. Many of these sites have literally hundreds of different molds.

 

I do have loads of ploycarbonate molds I have been ordering on an almost monthly basis that I use all the time.  I was just saying that these ones tend to come handy aswell. Especially when the person is not really worried about shine that much. Or art work on bonbons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jamal12 said:

. Especially when the person is not really worried about shine that much. Or art work on bonbons. 

 

But the issue isn't if everyone else is not worried about that shine - it's if you're happy with your products. And if you are, great. I find that most of the general public don't notice the flaws or the lack of shine, but they definitely do notice when your chocolates are shiny and  perfect. I had an argument with a chocolatier back when I was starting out about capping chocolates after filling. I said "why bother to make the bottom of the chocolate perfectly flat and shiny with acetate or a transfer sheet, no-one actually looks at the base". His answer changed my outlook completely. It was that he doesn't cap the base of a chocolate perfectly for other people to see, he does it because HE wants it perfect. And now, I do the same. Aspire to be the best you can be, regardless of what other people think. And whenever I buy chocolates (for "research"!) I flip them over and look at the base, because it shows me how much the person that makes those chocolates cares.

 

What does all this rambling word salad leave us? It leaves us at "you do you." But be aware that people on this forum are so dedicated and helpful that if you post photos of product that they perceive as not "perfect", they're likely to offer constructive criticism and advice on how to get better. If you don't want the advice, that's fine too :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, keychris said:

And whenever I buy chocolates (for "research"!) I flip them over and look at the base, because it shows me how much the person that makes those chocolates cares.


I wouldn't agree that's necessarily an accurate indicator of how much a person making chocolates cares about what they do but as you said, "you do you". :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, keychris said:

 

But the issue isn't if everyone else is not worried about that shine - it's if you're happy with your products. And if you are, great. I find that most of the general public don't notice the flaws or the lack of shine, but they definitely do notice when your chocolates are shiny and  perfect. I had an argument with a chocolatier back when I was starting out about capping chocolates after filling. I said "why bother to make the bottom of the chocolate perfectly flat and shiny with acetate or a transfer sheet, no-one actually looks at the base". His answer changed my outlook completely. It was that he doesn't cap the base of a chocolate perfectly for other people to see, he does it because HE wants it perfect. And now, I do the same. Aspire to be the best you can be, regardless of what other people think. And whenever I buy chocolates (for "research"!) I flip them over and look at the base, because it shows me how much the person that makes those chocolates cares.

 

What does all this rambling word salad leave us? It leaves us at "you do you." But be aware that people on this forum are so dedicated and helpful that if you post photos of product that they perceive as not "perfect", they're likely to offer constructive criticism and advice on how to get better. If you don't want the advice, that's fine too :)

 

I thought that I might be classed as crazy for admitting that I think the bottom of my chocolates should be as good (or bad...😄) as the shell and design.

 

Here is one design I used on the last batch I made. It is a tad scuffed, as I was intent on photographing the shell and design first.

 

Philip

Black and Gold capped.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×