• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Circulator for Library Lending

catdaddy

The library where I work loans out cooking kits. Must are simple and contain a special pan and a recipe or cookbook. We're considering a "Sous Vide" kit with immersion circulator and beginner cookbook.

I'm asking for suggestions on which circulator to include. The word "bulletproof" comes to mind. Cookbook suggestions are welcome too.

If this is in the wrong forum please move to where it belongs.

• Like 3

Great idea - I think the Anova is the best of the several I've tried in terms of very simple controls. Although the new ones come with Bluetooth, they can still be used with just the dial on the top. Set the temp, press the start button, and away you go. They are compatible with a large variety of pots, though your library might consider including a cambro with the kit.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Good Odea

i gave my Anova V1 to my local library w a few suggestions for simple cooking.

for the Librarians

a town and 1/2 over

has all sorts of stuff like this for load w you library card

Anova V2 and crockpots and stuff to shampoo your Rugs,

ver interesting and innovative for them

including  a huge selection of cake molds for very special birthday cakes you can make with them

Ill PM you the library

and call them

they are very helpful

for you lib

get the Anova bluetooth for < 100 USD.

cheers

• Like 2

If they come

and check out anything 

Im told my li Local

its a Circ.  i.e. a circulation 

not that other thing

and the more Circ's

the more money they get from the Bean Counters across the street.

good

in a convoluted sort of way

• Like 2

Rental equipment tends to get abused, so I'm thinking that the consumer circulators will have pretty short lifespans. The library should probably budget for replacing the things every few months. 

The alternative of lending professional circulators probably isn't too appealing, since they tend to be so much bigger and heavier. And they're equally vulnerable to death by drowning.

I think it's a great idea, at least as an experiment. I would have loved this. I made my first forays into s.v. with borrowed equipment, but was lucky enough to know people who owned the stuff.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

I'd think the bigger liability danger would be people doing cook-store techniques without knowing what they're doing. 

Most home cooks do so much cross-contamination and leave food out for so many hours at the wrong temperatures that it's hard to imagine a circulator adding to anyone's actual peril. 

In NYC it's the chamber vacuum sealers, not the circulators, that freak out the health dept. They're probably overreacting to something they don't understand, but they require any restaurant with a vacuum machine to implement an HACCP plan. 

I'd think if the s.v. instructions given by the library just need to advise people to store bags in the fridge for no more than a few days. This and don't cook for more than, say, 2 hours below 131°F. 

On the one hand it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to consulting lawyers. On the other hand, especially with topics they don't fully understand, lawyers are likely to be very conservative and just advise against everything.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly