• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foraging Cookbook Recalled for Food Safety Concerns

gfron1

HERE

Just as you should know your farmer, you should know your forager. And, its one thing to feed something to yourself, its a totally different game if you feed others (or write about feeding others).

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 2

@gfron1 Your link doubles back to your post. Was it supposed to lead somewhere else?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Foraging scares the crap out of me. Too much room for bad mistakes. I need to know the forager.

I'm convinced that much mushroom poisoning goes undetected. You won't remember  the mushrooms next to your steak, when you show up at your doc's office with hepatitis a week or 2 later.

And there's the whole fiddlehead fern thing. There is a reason that even voracious deer don't touch ferns....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, heidih said:

@heidih Thank you for the link!

@gfron1 I am with @gfweb... this foraging stuff scares me, too. I know you've made a business/career out of it, but I'd be too scared of that 1-in-a-million bad-for-you mushroom that gets past the expert eye and onto my plate. :(

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

4 minutes ago, Toliver said:

@heidih Thank you for the link!

@gfron1 I am with @gfweb... this foraging stuff scares me, too. I know you've made a business/career out of it, but I'd be too scared of that 1-in-a-million bad-for-you mushroom that gets past the expert eye and onto my plate. :(

I don’t have data to back it up but I bet more people die from E. coli in their supermarket ground beef than from mushrooms foraged by knowledgable foragers. Just saying... 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I don’t have data to back it up but I bet more people die from E. coli in their supermarket ground beef than from mushrooms foraged by knowledgable foragers. Just saying... 

And E. coli kills more than  angry mooses, but I shall still avoid contact with mooses whether angry or chill.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 2

I understand the fears but I'll trust my control of the situation over all of the unknown possibilities any day. The bigger picture is that a publisher released a book without checking its material. My publisher had a few safeguards in place with a variety of expert eyes, and even then we pulled some ingredients that could be potentially risky.

• Like 7

Re: Morels - me neither!

As far as mushroom hunting goes - if you pick (and eat) one that you are not sure about....well, perhaps that is nature's way of thinning the herd, or at least teaching you a lesson.....lol.

I *only* pick mushrooms I am certain of.  The one I mainly pick (Elm Oyster) only grows on a specific tree (Manitoba Maple) and I have researched sufficiently to ensure there are no deadly 'look a like's' in our province.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

I didn't know you weren't supposed to eat raw morels.

I didn’t think you were supposed to eat any mushrooms raw!  Apparently supermarket mushrooms such as button mushrooms and cremini are safe to eat without cooking. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I didn’t think you were supposed to eat any mushrooms raw!  Apparently supermarket mushrooms such as button mushrooms and cremini are safe to eat without cooking. 

As are Shiitake and Oyster!

• Like 1

In Australia, some extremely poisonous mushrooms resemble edible mushrooms from Europe. An article in our local newspaper reported that 27 people had been hospitalised for eating poisonous mushrooms in autumn (fall) this year. A number have died in the past after cooking up these fungi. No mushroom foraging for me.

• Like 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

32 minutes ago, nickrey said:

In Australia, some extremely poisonous mushrooms resemble edible mushrooms from Europe. An article in our local newspaper reported that 27 people had been hospitalised for eating poisonous mushrooms in autumn (fall) this year. A number have died in the past after cooking up these fungi. No mushroom foraging for me.

I thought everything was extremely poisonous down there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

As are Shiitake and Oyster!

That is good to know in case I find myself in a position where I am forced to eat them out of politeness. Otherwise, I have never found anything in the least tempting about raw mushrooms.:biggrin:

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

That is good to know in case I find myself in a position where I am forced to eat them out of politeness. Otherwise, I have never found anything in the least tempting about raw mushrooms.:biggrin:

Agreed!!!  Unless of course one enjoys eating foam...then, they might be akin to a pig in you know what.... ;)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

While type of mushroom can have an effect on sensitive stomachs the issue is more cultivated versus wild. Wild mushrooms of all sorts have the potential and likelihood of parasites and an unidentified gastrointestinal toxin. Both are largely cooked out  with heat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

While type of mushroom can have an effect on sensitive stomachs the issue is more cultivated versus wild. Wild mushrooms of all sorts have the potential and likelihood of parasites and an unidentified gastrointestinal toxin. Both are largely cooked out  with heat. 

On the other hand, cultivated mushrooms are all hand harvested, so whatever is on the piscador's (for that is what they are called in mushroom country) hand goes in your mouth.  Certainly low risk, but not zero risk.

And they taste way better cooked.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:26 AM, gfweb said:

And they taste way better cooked.

I don't know. I enjoy fresh young white button mushrooms sliced raw into a salad very much. They have to be fresh, though. Once they get some age on them, which is usually the case in the grocery store, they begin to turn brown and the flavor changes so they are only good for cooking, and even then would have been better fresh. Many salad bars offer raw sliced buttons as an option, and that is where I first encountered them. 

That is a shame about the recall, and it must be SO embarrassing for the author. I feel sorry for her. Safety first, though, for sure.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

On 8/13/2018 at 9:41 PM, Anna N said:

Sister, preach.  I don't get it at all.

I first encountered them on salad bars too.  I tried it -- I'll try anything.  It was . . . not a good outcome.

Edited by SLB (log)

I've been eating raw mushrooms for decades and haven't died yet...

There are some which do need cooking though, but most supermarket mushrooms can safely be eaten raw. Certainly buttons, shiitake and oysters.  I haven't done one for a while, but a mixed raw mushroom salad may  well turn up on the Dinner! topic soon.

Obviously, wild, foraged mushrooms need to be positively identified and whether they need cooking ascertained. Many do; some don't.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto