• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYT pay to play recipes

Norm Matthews

I can't say if you can view NYTimes w/o accepting cookies

someone will no doubt jump on this.

I subscribe so its not an issue for me

I do sometimes view the Washington Post , and manually delete their cookie when the cookie gets full.

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Why do you toast one side of the bread before building your sandwich?

Straight to the important point. Hugs. *grin*

If you toast bread in the toaster for grilled cheese and then into a pan to melt the cheese the outside gets overcooked if not charred. If you use untoasted bread the inside against the cheese (and for grown-up (*grin*) sandwiches tomato and onion) it can get a bit mushy. "Mushy" is a technical term. *grin*

Instead I toast one side each of two pieces of bread in a dry skillet. This is, to digress, the way great-grandma Ida (<- a made-up person I use apocryphally) toasted bread. I still usually make toast this way at sea; see the Boat Cookery thread. Regardless, I build the sandwich with the toasted sides of the two slices of bread facing in toward the ingredients. Now I can toast the outsides of the sandwich, flipping halfway through, at the same time I warm up the ingredients so the cheese gets a little melty (<- another technical term) and the tomato becomes pleasantly warm.

By no means do I suggest this is the "right" way. It is most effective and repeatable for me. I'm happy to share it.

I often write rather long posts. It's good that I type reasonably fast. You, Elsie, went straight to the fundamentals. Outstanding.

• Like 2

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com