• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

31 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Tell me more......

Many sites give you [x] free articles in a month. The site sets a cookie that contains a counter, which is how it keeps track. You can either go into your browser's cookie settings, search for anything related to the site (NYT, in this case) and manually delete them; or set your browser to reject cookies in the first place (what gfweb spoke of).

Of course some sites will simply not work or not work properly if you set the browser to reject cookies out of hand, so the more useful option is to set your browser to allow cookies at time of use, but then to ditch them rather than saving them (ie, "allow for this session"). The exact setting and where to find it will vary by browser.

In my case I have three computers I can use, so that's usually enough to see me through a given month without futzing around.

ETA: X-posted simultaneously with gfweb...

chromedome

chromedome

27 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Tell me more......

Many sites give you [x] free articles in a month. The site sets a cookie that contains a counter, which is how it keeps track. You can either go into your browser's cookie settings, search for anything related to the site (NYT, in this case) and manually delete them; or set your browser to reject cookies in the first place (what gfweb spoke of).

Of course some sites will simply not work or not work properly if you set the browser to reject cookies out of hand, so the more useful option is to set your browser to allow cookies at time of use, but then to ditch them rather than saving them (ie, "allow for this session"). The exact setting and where to find it will vary by browser.

In my case I have three computers I can use, so that's usually enough to see me through a given month without futzing around.