• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Pete Fred

Pete Fred

You can see a couple of the previously mentioned tips in this video.

I find clingfilm (plastic wrap) and rice work best for blind baking. It really helps with defined corners.  For conventional lining, try folding the pastry outside the ring to combat shrinkage. Then, for clean edges, use a microplane. All three are employed here.

With a bit of practice you'll be surprised how straightforward it is. This lemon tart looks alright, and I ain't no pro.

1689055260_LemonTart.thumb.jpg.1cf9f3a10c0bceb3b605e74ebb08abd5.jpg

For the fully baked, empty shells you've posted, the 'secret' is really just well made pâté sucrée that's rested and doesn't shrink much, combined with good lining technique and a bit of post-bake shaving to neaten up any rough edges.

Pete Fred

Pete Fred

You can see a couple of the previously mentioned tips in this video.

I find clingfilm (plastic wrap) and rice work best for blind baking. It really helps with defined corners.  For conventional lining, try folding the pastry outside the ring to combat shrinkage. Then, for clean edges, use a microplane. All three are employed here.

With a bit of practice you'll be surprised how straightforward it is. This lemon tart looks alright, and I ain't no pro.

1689055260_LemonTart.thumb.jpg.1cf9f3a10c0bceb3b605e74ebb08abd5.jpg

For the fully baked, empty shells you've posted, the 'secret' is really just well made pâté sucrée that's rested and doesn't shrink much,, combined with good lining technique and a bit of post-bake shaving to neaten up any rough edges.