• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When friends won't share their recipes

gfron1

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

I think that was a storyline on an episode of "Friends". Flaky Phoebe was the one who made the cookie's from her aunt's recipe and she "Frenchi-fied" the name of the cookie...something like "Twole Haus", or something like that. Monica (the chef) was furious when she found out it was the Toll House recipe.

Perhaps the show's writers had heard the same story...:B

I seldom ever watched 'Friends' but the story probably came from that episode, either it was one of the few I watched or someone told me about it.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2018 at 10:09 PM, gfweb said:

After a month of thought...I think the request to never share is unreasonable and puts you in a bad position.  Maybe share it but leave out the salt or something obvious...so you honor the request but aren't a jerk. 

I would rather someone tell me they to my face that they would not share their recipe because I was ugly, than to know they were lying to my face.